Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 125 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

LOL

Yes "Body line" ~ what a contentious issue ~ and I am not even a cricket fan and even I know about the Bodyline ~

Might have to explain what a cricket stump is to our foreign friends!
    That is why I included the image of the wickets ~ but per haps you are right ~

Wicket - Wikipedia

Seems the US forces in Australian were happy to play Base ball and not bothered to much with Cricket ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Dead keen to get back on site but we are being inundated with monsoonal rain ~ we have had approx 650mm up to this mooring and it is still coming down ~ Highway South is closed due to flooding with no chance of opening for some time ~

Here is a tribute that my partner created and I think applies most of us here in the War relics ~

We are ALL Time Travellers ~

She wrote ~

This is what Stuart does, he's a Time Traveller finding all the memories in his metal detecting. xx
    " Metal " Detectorists our Epilogue - YouTube

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 04-23-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Hey Blokes ~

FINALLY ~ finally got out for a scratch about today and had a good result ~ Report pending!

But found this early ~

Rob and I have not seen this one before ~ Is it associated with Bren Gun or even BAR sling ??

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 04-30-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Apparently as seen here ~ attaching t the waist webbing belt ~

"the buckle for the Pattern 08 Brace Attachments.

They were worn on the belt and used to attach the suspenders to the front of the belt when Cartridge pouches weren't worn, such as officers and enlisted men issued with a pistol." Crt: Ben Simons (Aust)

Due to the lack of local factories able to weave P37 equipment (same in 1914 for P08 stuff!), P08 was used well into WW2 here along with leather P37 equivalents.

Thanks Mate

I had th eimpression this was legacy of WWI ~ Never seen one before ~

Had a good day yesterday with some excellent finds ~ Do a report today ~

Early start weather looked definitely bleak so waited for a few Hours ~

Took a plunge around 10:00 and headed off As soon as I left the clouds began to part and eventually sunshine by the time I geared up and headed off ~

A bit of a Hike ~ over Hill and dale ~

I spent some four Hours working the area with some good results~ Typical Camp site structured on the side of a gentle slope ~ all about good wet regions drainage.

Plenty o Bottles of various sizes ~ including a bottle which I thought was a Malanda milk bottle but it is a heavily embossed Australian Pickle company.

The range of signals was impressive for high tones to mid and low ranges ~ a real assortment ~

After several breaks I eventually called it a day around 14:15 ~

Fortunately easy digging apart form a few rocks ~

Remains of a Gas Mask ~ filter ~ unfortunately too far gone ~

The side of the Hill was starting to look like a battle ground with extensive holes ~

Finally a complete and intact Water canteen ~ made of pressed steel they are prone to deterioration after 80 years ~ Will se if the snake oil can clean it up with destroying it ~ and restoration~

The Rising Sun has had the face completely polished flat !

Half loop: part of a Duffle bag Lock.

Round piece isan Oil seal ~ Knife handle `~

Once again as seen before this Unit was listed as a resident of this camp site ~

Stunning ~ these ammo pouch studs must have been issued as they are IMACULATE ~

Thought the larger jar was local Malanda Milk bottle but no ~ it is Australian Pickle Company!

I had to leave bottles behind as I could not carry any more on returning to base ~ So a sack is in order fro any revisit!

TRINITY BEACH, QLD. 1944-11-13.

ENGINEERS OF 2/9 FIELD COMPANY WORKING IN THE WATER TO ASSEMBLE A BOX GIRDER BRIDGE TO BRIDGE THE GAP TO THE BEACH DURING THE AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING EXERCISE 'OCTOPUS'. [UNITY BEACH WAS THE CODE NAME FOR PALM BEACH]

MALANDA AREA, QUEENSLAND. 1944-12-11.

2/9 FIELD COMPANY, ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ENGINEERS TROOPS ERECTING A BAILEY BRIDGE ACROSS A STREAM ON THE GLEN ALLYN ROAD BETWEEN JAGGAN AND LAMMIN'S HILL DURING EXERCISE "RAMPANT".

I live on Glenn Allyn rd ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 05-01-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Weds~ did another hunt today ~ perfect skies ~ but too perfect and temps went up and High humidity dead calm ~ I lasted approx 2 + hours ~ despite carrying full Smoko kit and thermos + refreshments~

Sadly came up pretty well empty handed ~

Went from Halcyon to Le Miserable ~ Ironically if you were a bottle Hunter you were in Paradise ~ 7 NSW dated bottles and an equal QLD untitled or dated bottles ~

A pad lock ~ a oil drum bung ~ and a single webbing buckle ~ c’est la vie’

Oh and the sad retirements of a large Trench Knife merely recognised by the Hilt securing pins. And a rectangular ferrous flat plate ~ which may reveal some value if I stick it in the Palms ~

As they say some days you are the King and then you are ~ a dog's breakfast ~

But also ceaning up the 1908 webbing and giving it a rub each time I walk past it ~ and the RS tampered with ~ n idea what the Digger was trying to achieve ~

Fossick #558 The search for the third dump site.

(Fossick #557 was a Fail! Dead Loss)

Temp peak: 29 deg. Humidity: 55%

Reasonable start time.

When I was about to leave home I noticed the spade was AWOL~ I thought I may have used in the extensive clean up that we embarked on this last week ~ but not a sign anywhere.

So I figured I had left it behind at the dump last week. So detoured to the previous Site ~ SO off we go~

I arrive on the park spot and there it is leaning against a solitary small sapling right next to the access road ~

I mean this is either no one looks around while they are driving and this road is pretty buy dirt road. OR this demonstrates the integrity and honesty of local folks ~

'Leave it here he has left it ~ he will be back ~

Full load this trip with Smoko pack and a Sieve ~ plus spade and detector ~ and pick ~

I took a wide circle Endeavoring to find the third Dump which Robert and I know is there ~ Instead I ended up back at dump #2 ~

So not to waste time I gave the site the three over and wide ~ the Sieve worked well but we have had some light showers and the soil is still too damp and was not so easy to Sift.

But it paid off when I hit a hot spot of webbing buckles ~ and a Penny which would suggest a dump of uniforms and webbing ~

I also dug another of the NOS ammo pouch studs ~ Chased a LOT of signals and misc crap as I generally dig every thing ~

I did three sweeps endeavoring to find the third dump but it is still hiding ~ I even ventured down the hill to the creek bed and checked for any detritus that may suggest more dumps ~but the creek bed was clean as.

I broke for Smoko around 11:30 and reclined on the grass where I was hesitant to even get up again~ Erratic breeze and bit shade ~ Until I felt what suggested a tick ~

SO major operation~ Remove the radio and the relic bag and support strap ~ remove the shirt ~ remove the braces ~ drop the dacks and sure enough a bloody tick slipped past the Aerogard. Forced to scrape him out with finger nail~

I pressed on and finally folded yet again to the heat and humidity ~

I first thought the larger bottle was just another tomato sauce bottle ~ but ~

NO ~ It has 'talk" ~

“This bottle remains the property of ERS Co-Operative, Society LTD. ST PETERS S.A.

Contains Approximately 13 OZS.”

More of the unissued ammo pouch studs ~

Sort of over webbing buckles now ~

These the those I have "cleaned up " ~ not of course including those that I have graded as second rate or poor condition ~ which mostly fill a 25 Pdr. shell case steel carry box!

KAIRI, QLD. 1943-08-27.

TROOPS OF THE 2/7TH AUSTRALIAN FIELD REGIMENT ASSISTING TRACTOR TO HAUL A 25-POUNDER OUT OF THE BED OF A CREEK DURING FIELD EXERCISES.

KAIRI, ATHERTON TABLELAND, QUEENSLAND. 1945-05-09.

PORTION OF THE CONGREGATION OF 7,000 MEMBERS OF THE DIVISION WHO ATTENDED A COMBINED CHURCH OF ENGLAND AND PROTESTANT DENOMINATION SERVICE OF THANKSGIVING HELD AT THE 7 DIVISION STADIUM AT HEADQUARTERS 7 DIVISION.

I wonder if they passed the "plate " around for donations?

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 05-13-2021 at 04:45 AM.

Had an update on the Polished of Rsing Sun badge I found several weeks back ~

My Dutch contact found this on " site ~ Posted by "Battery Command" (Canada) . Thanks for the details folks ~

It seems some members of units actually polished off the fine casting on badges to make it far easier to Polish~

( Not sure how the Master Sergeants or officers woudl react to his practice but there it is ~ )
    Hopefully you can access the page ~ about half way down ~

Royal Canadian Artillery Cap Badges

quote: Ground Detail

The most common alteration done to RCA cap badges was the removal of fine detail. The point of this was certainly an 'old soldier’s' trick to make polishing easier, and to achieve a more mirror-like finish. In all of these examples, the flat surfaces are definitely due to being deliberately ground, not just polished. I have three of these:

The technique used to flatten down this badge was even more extreme. It appears the badge has been placed face down and hammered flat, then the face polished. The end result is that the badge is pretty much a sheet brass shape. It would, however, polish up to a mirror shine in about 30 seconds flat, and I am sure that was the intention.