Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Battlefield & Military Site Finds & Identification Requests

Article about: I've just got a metal detector so hopefully I can add some threads here when I am able to search some places Even before I do that, I have an item I'm not sure of (among some I've been given

Mike,

I know the process you mean & it makes absolute sense... plenty of reasons for metal working with alloy on any RAF station & I believe there was a large maintenance unit at this one.

Item in post #9 is a mouth harp.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Ian Hayes View Post
    Item in post #9 is a mouth harp.
    Dang... here I was finally able to ID something and you beat me to it..LoL

So, I am only able to concur.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Also called the Jew's harp!!!
    Yeah that is the only thing I knew also!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Wow, 2 items down - thanks guys! I had no clue what the harp was &, despite being a complete 'random', you have ID'd it...

That's (one of) the great thing about this place... somebody will know!

Thank you again all - you've done so well, I've been to another WW2 RAF (& postwar US Navy) site & found a new challenge for you

This is my small collection from a casual visit with my 4 year old son (who has really taken to 'Treasure Hunting' as he calls it).

The large zipper pull & screw cap / ring at the top were found next to a concrete aircraft parking / tie-down area; a few yards apart so probably not connected & likely to be packaging / container related stuff that I'm not expecting to be identified - though I'd be grateful for any confirmation/ other ideas - I just thought I'd show them

What I am pretty certain is a large calibre cleaning / clearing rod handle (haven't found an exact match yet but they're a fairly standard thing), or possibly a 'pump handle' of some sort, was found near where I think the rubbish pit were. And very close by was my 'challenge' for you all - can anyone identify the bracket?

Now, there is modern scrap around so this is another maybe but it has 'that look' to me... it reminded me of an equipment bracket or a Land Rover bonnet (hood) support bracket. It is not the latter, I know them well, but I wondered if it were similar item from a old military vehicle? I have been looking over images of Jeep & Dodge WC engine bays with no success but you fine people may know other candidate types!

Bump for my other two, so far unidentified, items as well. Just in case any new reader of this thread should have any ideas...

Both were found within a couple of hundred yards of each other on the 'domestic' part of the station. This was established for the RFC etc in WW1 & later used by both Army & RAF. The area where I found thee was most recently Army accommodation area - now all demolished & turned to 'grassland'.

Some sort of chain tensioning wheel or similar?
    Attachment 1291948

No idea really!
    Attachment 1291947
    (unfortunately that's as clean as I've been able to get it, without potentially damaging it, even after a couple of weeks in molasses)

There's a chance these are not 'military' items either but I'm still not writing them off as 'scrap' just in case!

Many thanks again for any contributions
    Last edited by brickie501; 06-16-2020 at 09:12 AM.

The top of a cleaning rod handle, should be the top of a small portable brass fire extinguisher .(Aircraft/Tank/Car ..etc)

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike,

Unhelpfully, there don't appear to be any markings but (after gentle cleaning) there does appear to be a splash of red paint on the top of the 'T', so that's a good shout.

Can you point me to any pictures of the type? I doesn't quite match the ones I have found pictures of, such as "Pyrene", as the attachment isn't long / tall enough & the handle shape is different.

Not to be found is it . If it is brass, then its almost certain to be an extinguisher, as steel was not
    used as the contents /storage etc would possibly corrode it . If it is steel ....answers on a postcard !

Cheers Mike

Quote by VERSUCH View Post
    Not to be found is it . If it is brass, then its almost certain to be an extinguisher, as steel was not
    used as the contents /storage etc would possibly corrode it . If it is steel ....answers on a postcard !

Cheers Mike
    Yes, its brass (well, definitely non-ferrous/magnetic) & so is what seems to be a 'stub' of whatever screwed into this handle. I originally thought clearing / cleaning rod because those are quite commonly made of non-ferrous materials as well... either way, the lack of markings or a good visual match is proving challenging!

The same lack of markings goes for a couple more finds I've made on a return visit. Slim pickings, despite spending a couple of hours detecting, but was still happy to find them...

The aluminium 'disk' was near an area of modern use but it looks like a connection that 'lugs' have sheared off from - it is approx 88mm in diameter, with the central hole approx 42-45mm across.

The 'valve' was near wartime aircraft spots, but what I thought was a part no turns out to be "50 FT" - presumably a max / normal pressure?

(Another view of the 'valve' added to second picture - not to scale)

Can anyone confirm if either are aircraft parts & identify the type(s)?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by brickie501; 06-23-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast