Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.

Article about: Hey guys! So I went out this week kayaking into the Boston harbor, to explore some of the islands WW2 bunkers/barracks and gun emplacements. Meant protect the city from possible U-boats/air

Default New England's WWII defenses. Boston WWII, harbor islands. Ruins/bunkers and gun emplacements.

Hey guys! So I went out this week kayaking into the Boston harbor, to explore some of the islands WW2 bunkers/barracks and gun emplacements. Meant to protect the city from possible U-boats/air raids.

The map red line is my going out route. Green line is return loop.

Here's my previous post about a couple of Boston WW2 harbor islands I went to, a couple years ago.

Boston WW2, harbor island ruins.

The first island you see is peddocks islands, one of the biggest islands. It housed Italian WW2 POWS. Has a church, barracks, gun emplacements, gym and much more. Bulk from WW2. Also the movie Shutter Island was filmed partly on Peddocks. I go to Peddocks on a later date. Photos further in this post.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 11-15-2015 at 03:54 PM.

First stop, just for a bathroom break. George's island. Big civil war fort, manned during WW2. Probably the most visited island in Boston.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

2nd stop, great Brewster island. Will come back here later in the day. Just stopped to stretch. Mine bunker built during WW2 and rapid fire guns/searchlights. Can see George's island off in the distant.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

3rd stop, middle Brewster island. Just wanted to explore here because access to island is very hard. Wanted the challenge! (bird island surrounded by sharp cliffs) nothing here really.. Old rock wall, a fireplace and arch, where a bell used to hang. Used to be couple of houses here in the 19th century? So many birds, not used to seeing people. I kept my distance from them and their hatching areas.. The arch looks reminiscent of something you would see in Ireland.

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.   Boston WW2, harbor islands ruins/bunkers.  

Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 09-07-2015 at 02:08 AM.

4th stop, outer Brewster island. My Main goal was this island. Battery jewel built during WW2, like most fortified islands in Boston, they where meant to defend from possible U-boats and air raids. This island has a big bunker complex. Three reenforced barracks. Foundation of an old radio tower, that was disguised as a water tower. The building right on the water was the desalination plant. Sorry about quality of some of the photos from inside it was really dark.

Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 10-19-2015 at 02:12 AM.

MAP
    ?

Pretty cool. Guess you didn't see that "no trespassing" sign.....

I fly to Boston every Tues/Wed. Never knew these were there. but then again, never really get a chance to leave the office when I'm there.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

More outer Brewster

Outer Brewster island more.

Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 08-10-2015 at 03:38 PM.

More outer Brewster island.

Last of outer Brewster.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast