Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Conflict Archaeology in Kent UK

Article about: One and all, I am directing a conflict archaeology excavation, (Battlefield archaeology is an incorrect term used by people who do not do conflict archaeology as a professional). It is to be

Default Conflict Archaeology in Kent UK

One and all,

I am directing a conflict archaeology excavation, (Battlefield archaeology is an incorrect term). It is to be conducted most probably in summer next year and is part of a long term project I have been running as part of The Defence of Britain Project and also for the County Council. This part is looking at the early 1940, immediately post Dunkirk defences that we employed when the invasion of Britain looked decidedly likely.

It will be two or three trenches, (that may change dependant upon results) and will last about a week to ten days. It is self funding however a major TV network is already interested so I may be able to get them to pay towards the costs. Also the firm, (HM Forces), is interested in participating so there is a chance that bodies and kit might be available from them.

Down to the reason for the post, if anyone wishes to participate then I will be taking on a number of volunteers. Experience is not needed as they will be taught on site, there are jobs for the less able doing finds management and lots of other jobs to keep the thing running. Anyone who wishes to come along please drop me a message I shall be planning for the next 12 months and research so far is looking very, very promising.

I hope this might be of interest to some of you and will of course post details and results when we do this.

Regards to all,

R

PM sent
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Jan
    ?

Wishing you the best of luck in your research

Started my 2022 conflict archaeoloy field season on April 2nd with GPR surveys of the German transition camp and Soviet underground command post in Hanko S. Finland.

Etusivu - Hanko 1941-1944 Hango

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Conflict Archaeology in Kent UK   Conflict Archaeology in Kent UK  

Last edited by Jan; 04-04-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Jan,

Yes, int' came down the pipeline you were working this year.

Good luck with it all and may all your stratigraphy be discernible.

R

Send an official request to me at Work and I'll scam something

?

If I lived there, I would be All In!
    I hope you will be posting some photo's of this.
    I will be following from across the pond.

Semper Fi
    Phil

How long are you planning to be on site? I 'd like to plan a trip over if possible.

Hi, Im planning a two week dig with the middle weekend being a battlefield tour in the area given by some real experts. Kent looks good but is not the only possibility. We have a very good reputation in the business and so the requests far outweigh the time we can devote to this. There is another in France that is WW1 on the Somme which is really interesting as well. I will post as soon as anything is descided.

R