Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Article about: Sorry, got no incredible SS rings/buckles/helmets to show here Instead I'll throw in some photographs of the ordinary surface finds I've come across in the vast wilderness of the northernmos

Maybe you should tell museums where these finds are so if they want them they can go save them but at the same time telling them won't be like telling the public so you won't get lots of people out there. Either way I love seeing the photos and I'm sure there are many more finds waiting for you!

Cheers,
    Bodhi

?

it Shure looks like you found a gun emplacement it this spot? and this is the remains of the shell canisters that held them? wonder just what the target was? we sadly never know? great find, after all 75 yrs of summers and winters.

Are those the outer containers 15 cm Wurfgranate? They look too big for 73mm and too small for 21 cm. We used to have hundreds at Sennelager where they were manufactured.

CSW
    ?

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Maybe you should tell museums where these finds are so if they want them they can go save them but at the same time telling them won't be like telling the public so you won't get lots of people out there. Either way I love seeing the photos and I'm sure there are many more finds waiting for you!

Cheers,
    Bodhi
    That is indeed a great idea - I'll see what I can do.
    This location is quite well known though, one user here already recognized the place just from these photos Thanks a lot!

CSW
    ?

Quote by toot View Post
    it Shure looks like you found a gun emplacement it this spot? and this is the remains of the shell canisters that held them? wonder just what the target was? we sadly never know? great find, after all 75 yrs of summers and winters.
    It's a large ammunition depot area, and yes, there are artillery positions nearby.
    If these were used (and not simply dumped) during the main battle of the area in late 1944, it's rather safe to say the shells were fired at attacking Finnish troops.

CSW
    ?

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Are those the outer containers 15 cm Wurfgranate? They look too big for 73mm and too small for 21 cm. We used to have hundreds at Sennelager where they were manufactured.
    If you mean the shell carriers, I do believe they are all for the 17 cm Kanone 18. I am in no way an expert with these particular items, though, so corrections are always welcome.
    Here are some pictures of one of these 17 cm containers in good condition. Photos stolen from another thread, all credits to Fabe:

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

CSW
    ?

An unexpected discovery of bones on the battlefield! I don't think the authorities are too interested, though.

CSW
    ?

Hmm. I've found quite a few powder bag remains in the past, but this gorgeous example was definitely a nice surprise. Everything is still readable after all these years.

I believe it might've been discarded by someone rather recently, as I found it lying between branches on the very surface next to a pile of miscellaneous dumped junk.

I present to you: a propellant bag for the 7,5 cm Gebirgsgeschütz 36, a German 75 mm light mountain gun, dated July 20 1944 and - to my mind - in pretty impressive condition.

And yes, I did save this one.

And the gun in question:

Great thread Nordlicht

Looking forward to more photos if you’re out there again and stumble across further relics

Many thanks
    Harvey

CSW
    ?

Quote by HetzersGonnaHetz View Post
    Great thread Nordlicht

Looking forward to more photos if you’re out there again and stumble across further relics

Many thanks
    Harvey
    Thank you very much mate! I have an archive full of these photos and will get more quite soon as I'm going to visit some pretty nice places during the summer. Already found a few Soviet thingies that I'm taking to a local museum in the nearest future.

Wondering if I should start a Winter War 1939-40 -themed relics thread as well...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast