Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Article about: Sorry, got no incredible SS rings/buckles/helmets to show here Instead I'll throw in some photographs of the ordinary surface finds I've come across in the vast wilderness of the northernmos

CSW
    ?

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Great thread Nordlicht
    Thank you so very much Santi!

Always keep safe my friend, you are doing the correct thing with the UXB's, contacting the authorites.

Some great "finds" and pictures Nordlicht, keep them coming.

I just love being out in the open, but to be near a place where you could find the stuff your pictures show, would be so exciting.

The human "finds" such as the bottles, food tins and the like, just bring home the reality of war.

Great stuff mate, it's a pleasure looking at all the pictures.

CSW
    ?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Always keep safe my friend, you are doing the correct thing with the UXB's, contacting the authorites.

Some great "finds" and pictures Nordlicht, keep them coming.

I just love being out in the open, but to be near a place where you could find the stuff your pictures show, would be so exciting.

The human "finds" such as the bottles, food tins and the like, just bring home the reality of war.

Great stuff mate, it's a pleasure looking at all the pictures.
    Thank you very much for the kind words, I do appreciate them.

I too think it is the way to go. Dangerous things are dangerous and must be dealt with appropriately. I certainly try not to put myself in danger, and reporting these to the authorities helps keep other people safe as well.

I agree with the comment on bottles and the like. Everyday items are perhaps my favorite thing to stumble upon - the stuff is so ordinary, yet so full of untold stories

Once again thank you! I will, indeed, keep them coming.

CSW
    ?

Something slightly different this time, a little hike to a German wartime radio & observation position. Not many artifacts left to see but the views were worth the rocky climb!

Getting up...

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Really enjoyed the trip even though the wind up there was rather insane

Great view! Nice to see some remains still standing all the way up there.

CSW
    ?

Quote by BodhiEtheridge View Post
    Great view! Nice to see some remains still standing all the way up there.
    It is nice indeed.

I had heard there was also a wartime trash dump somewhere near the spot but unfortunately I wasn't able to find it. No big deal though, exploring the area was a very nice experience anyway

Some absolutely fantastic views from that observation post Nordlicht, I bet it looks even better after a snow fall..

Great pictures.

Wow, you can see everything from there.

CSW
    ?

An interesting dump found in June in the middle of a forest that had been cut down recently. The area saw action in 1940.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

The items on the surface consisted of one quite flattened half of a Soviet mess tin and a considerable number of unfired Soviet-made 7,62 mm cartridges, some attached to their stripper clips and all missing their bullets. I haven't yet been able to figure out why the bullets had been pulled out at some point... any ideas?

Quote by Nordlicht44 View Post

The items on the surface consisted of one quite flattened half of a Soviet mess tin and a considerable number of unfired Soviet-made 7,62 mm cartridges, some attached to their stripper clips and all missing their bullets. I haven't yet been able to figure out why the bullets had been pulled out at some point... any ideas?
    Recycling? Even back then it might have been easier to remove the bullets and melt down the lead for re-use.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast