Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Article about: Sorry, got no incredible SS rings/buckles/helmets to show here Instead I'll throw in some photographs of the ordinary surface finds I've come across in the vast wilderness of the northernmos

CSW
    ?

Hi guys,

something from last summer's short trip to the 1940 site I've been photographing for a few years. As very often before, the surface finds were mostly pieces of (Soviet) ammunition and related items. Someone had dug up two large unexploded artillery shells and left them unmarked - sadly not that uncommon. Marked and reported the location to the authorities.

Lots of remains of foxholes, dugouts and the like had become visible after most of the forest around them was cut down.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Beautiful markings visible on this fired mortar tail.

Some original grayish green paintwork has been preserved by the boggy soil. Note the rotten fuze though!

A small-sized brass shell fuze found in sand, possibly French? Very similar in appearance to the Schneider Mle 1916 tracé A. 1853. Completely empty and going into the collection of the local museum!

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Last summer I didn't have time to visit the north at all, so I have to settle for conserving old finds. Maybe next summer.. Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

?

A well-displayed and conserved collection speaks volumes about a collector

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Notschnelltanker Anhänger A2 - highspeed refuling device - It was used for transporting of the Pumpensatz H 500, a fuel pump decice, pumping accessories and 150 meters hose line.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

That "Notschnelltanker Anhänger A22 vehicle" would be a great restoration project for some one with a few quid..

Any more pictures of it?

Transfer to museum for display in this condition, and all the things that are around. That would be the right way to preserve this. Too much stuff have escaped from Finland to Central Europe with big money.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern FinlandExploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Quite a rare piece of equipment. Glad it is getting preserved in a museum where a wider audience can appreciate it.

I have to clarify that it is not going to the museum yet. However, it is the property of the War Museum. Rescue is being planned, but we'll see.

It is in amazing condition for being outside all of these years.

I would partly restore with the bits and pieces that are lying around it, some wheel parts are definitely there.

Put the pieces back where possibly and then display it.

Really cracking "find" and many thanks for the pictures

I'd love to see a completed updated example to give us a idea how it would have looked.

Can you keep us informed of it's progress? (Please).

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast