Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Falaise Relics

Article about: Bonjour all! I've just got back from my trip to Normandy (absolutely amazing), I'll post some pictures a bit later. But I found some interesting relics in the Falaise Gap. Obviously one is a

Default Falaise Relics

Bonjour all!

I've just got back from my trip to Normandy (absolutely amazing), I'll post some pictures a bit later. But I found some interesting relics in the Falaise Gap.

Obviously one is a German 20mm casing, but not sure about the others.

The long steel band has traces of red paint visable...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Falaise Relics   Falaise Relics  

Falaise Relics   Falaise Relics  

ian
    ?

Default Re: Falaise Relics

pics 3+4 look like a door hinge pic 8 is a bedding clamp used for holding tooling and things in engenearing , and things like that , well holding down most anything realy ,but its called a bedding clamp cheers ian

ian
    ?

the metal strip ,the hinge and the clamp,i have a thought that they are all from an AEC matador, ill go look at the two my mate has to see if im right ,it may take a day or two, the strip i think protects the edge of the wooden door ,hinge i think is from the tail gate ,clamp i think is from the chassy,cheers ian

Woody, I am considering visiting the Falaise pocket. Was considering taking a metal detector, until I found that you are not allowed to use them in France! I thought that this area would be perfect!?

You don't really need a metal detector in Falaise (although the finds with one would be immense!!) Just strolling up and down the lanes with a very careful eye will prove succesful. Sadly I only had about 20 minutes there, but I'd have stayed all bloody day if I could!

Ian, I reckon the pieces are unlikely to be from a Matador as the area in question was right at the end of the gap, near to where the Poles sealed the Germans escape. That was full of decimated german personnel and equipment.

The strip of metal looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on where I've seen it before..... plus it's painted red..... the Matador would have been green. The hinge also looks too small to be a heavy door hinge, but more suited to some type of ammunition box.

I'm happy to stand corrected, but in my humble opinion, I'd guess at it being German.

Lee

Hi Woody

Nice finds. I particularly like the cartridge case (no surprise there really ).

I am like you and am inclined to think the hinge is off an ammo crate or something similar. It looks too small to be off anything more substantial.

Did you visit the museum at the top of the hill at Chambois ? It is a great museum and the window overlooking the valley really puts into perspective the awful killing ground that was the 'Falaise' pocket.

I had a quick 10 minute blast with the detector down a small track just past the museum and found 4 spent 30/303/7.92 cal bullets in the space of this time. I then got scared and went back to the car. Searching there with an MD is just too bloody risky.

Cheers

Steve T

PS Even picking up surface finds in areas like Falaise is now against the law let alone digging a hole !

ian
    ?

im morelikely to be wrong mate , they just look so familier but hey this is what its all about mate , cheers ian

Cheers Steve, I'm delighted with the finds, especially the 20mm

Christ, you were brave getting the MD out over there mate... although I didn't realise just picking pieces up off the surface was also illegal!

Ian, I'm not knocking your reply... I appreciate it. I'm just working out the possibilities.

Cheers,
    Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast