Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Forest finds - Can you help ?

Article about: Evening guys Just back from NE France and found these items on the forest floor, one from last year. Can any of you tell me what they may be ? I have used a 2p piece as a scale. I did wonder

Default Forest finds - Can you help ?

Evening guys

Just back from NE France and found these items on the forest floor, one from last year. Can any of you tell me what they may be ? I have used a 2p piece as a scale. I did wonder if they were artillery shell transport plugs but is the thread too thick ? Thanks in advance. I will post some pics of what I saw in a week or so.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forest finds - Can you help ?   Forest finds - Can you help ?  

Forest finds - Can you help ?   Forest finds - Can you help ?  

appie
    ?

Default Re: Forest finds - Can you help ?

Hmm.....the two "plugs" remind me a bit of French artilery fuses, what are the made of? The top two pics could be anything, did you find any other nice goodies?

Hi Appie
    Both "plugs" are made from an alloy. I know where you are coming from re French fuses shape but they are not fuses. I did find a nice fuse though, really pleased with this. Its a German HZ16 mid war issue hence steel head and alloy base, fired from 105mm Field Howitzer. Probably my best find as yet ! Also found more German gas mask filters and eye pieces, shell cases, live rounds, bottles etc. Bought a few items too, will post some pics soon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forest finds - Can you help ?  

appie
    ?

Very nice finds Forestwalker! Looking foward to see the pics.

?

they look great finds , rgds Dave

Ref the 2 plugs ,i would say these are from the french typw ww1 time fuzes they are the insides that the powder train runs around,these fuzes come in several different sizes,more info can be found here ,the attatched image is also from this site Passion and Compassion 1914-1918 : A rich bibliography and a wide technical documentation to help you better decode your visits to the former World War One battlefields
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forest finds - Can you help ?  

Thanks for the info Spotter, I think you are right ! Just checked out the site. That site as you rightly say is superb and where I identified the fuse from. A must for all interested in battlefields and relics. Passion and Compassion 14-18, have a look......