Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper

Article about: Some nice items ground dug from trenches around the Geilenkirchen area Found some nice personal items including a DKLI cap badge, tunic button and webbing clips all around some trenches. Som

Default Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper

Some nice items ground dug from trenches around the Geilenkirchen area

Found some nice personal items including a DKLI cap badge, tunic button and webbing clips all around some trenches. Some of the trenches were very well preserved.

Found alot of live ordnance inclusing two 36 grenades, incendiary round from an aircraft, lots of live 303s some still with cloth belt and a live 3 inch mortar. I would be interested if anyone has had any experience of searching this area or any info on units that fought there. It was predominantly the 43 rd Wessex Div that fought in this battle.

Rgds John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper   Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper  

Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper   Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper  

Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper  
    Last edited by john647; 09-27-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Default Re: Geilenkirchen -Op Clipper

I live in GK and dig here occasioanlly. There is a book out about the battle. Danny

Thanks for getting in touch

I also live close in MG and very interested in the local battles. I particulary like this area and the Hurtgen. Perhaps you could give me the name of the book sometime. I have been searching mostly the British areas of the battle for the last 5 years with mixed success in and around the wooded areas. Have you had many interesting finds? I find that the British battlefields tend to be fairly well cleaned up. It Would be nice to meet up some time.

Rgds John

On Youtube you will find the German Newsreel of the Battle for Geilenkirchen, with great combat footage.

Some neat finds , cheers Raymond

John, you still in MG?

Sorry for not replying sooner, I had a lot of issues with postings and a father who recently passed, plus warrelics.eu does not open for me a lot of time. My connection is too slow. I am back in Germany now. Danny

One very good book on the battle is Assault on Germany, The Battle for Geilenkirchen by Ken Ford,ISBN no. 0 7153 9208 5. you may find it on one of the book searche sites, John.

John,
    When i was stationed at Bruggen i would often go and metaldetect in Dorset wood near GK. There is a lot of ordnance in those woods. I remember my son digging up an unexploded 2 inch mortar round! Near Tripsrath if i remember correctly.

Steve

- - Updated - -

Steve, small world! I was based at Bruggen 92-94 and found loads of things just by the border by the Cox hotel! Mg 26 barrels, complete ammo containers and some German helmets and a k98! I used to go to Tripsrath a fair bit! Like you said it was mostly ordnance! Out of the forces now! I would love to go again perhaps next year! Did you ever search near Bruggen? Regards John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast