Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Hello all, one of my Italian finds

Article about: Hello I have spent a good while trawling through these facinating forums on numerous occasions. Having finally got around to joining , I thought I would start by showing you one of my more i

Hamp89
    ?

Default Hello all, one of my Italian finds

Hello

I have spent a good while trawling through these facinating forums on numerous occasions. Having finally got around to joining , I thought I would start by showing you one of my more interesting but less welcome finds.

There was no need for a detector with this, it was sitting on the surface in the leaves. A Italian Mod.35 hand grenade, this one is the SRCM version and has been thrown. I have read about them using an impact fuse and being very unstable.

I had only seen a few pictures before that point and I didnt recognise it until the small bits of red paint on the top end jogged my memory. Hope it is of interest.

Some other finds will be on here soon. Thanks

Hamp

lec48
    ?

Default Re: Hello all, one of my Italian finds

Just curious, is this an item that EOD would have to come and gather for disposal?

Hi Hamp, welcome to the forum!

Very nice pic.

Where did you find this one? Very scary!

Cheers, Ade.

Hamp89
    ?

I have an uncle in Northern Italy, so while staying there took the detector off into the mountains quite a treck to get there but worth while.

Lec, the Italian police don't seem to be too bothered about much at all from experiance, so did not report this or other finds from the day. Men had been cutting down trees recently and had left some bigger unexploded items lying right next to where they had been working so the few locals in the area were aware. In the UK anything like this would probably have involved EOD being brought in to remove/dispose of it (have found two shells from an old artillery range on a beach in the UK which resulted in a team coming to collect them). But such is the way in Italy!

?

This italian nades are nasty stuff and really unstable. Also during the war there are several accindents reported which italien nades i have read. In my area this nades can be found like mushrooms in the forest Ade was very close to them

I remember the warning you gave about them! One mushroom I would not pick

Cheers, Ade.

DmanofLV
    ?

Judging from the nade sittin on top of the leaf pile, the nade was likely recently put there. Careful messing with unexploded ordinance. Hear about the guy that got killed "restoring" a fuseless civil war cannonball? One little spark is all it took and KABOOM!! Even static can cause a spark!

Hamp89
    ?

Finding that one certainly made me a bit more cautious when digging, as did a startled cow charging through where i was working .

Same day another find not for keeping.

American Bazooka round with no tail on it.