Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet dump location given by Belgian Farmer

Article about: I found this amazing pit on information given by a local farmer who remembered his childhood after the war. Check the video! AMAZING WW2 GERMAN TRASH PIT, HELMET, PANZERFAUST and more - YouT

Default Helmet dump location given by Belgian Farmer

I found this amazing pit on information given by a local farmer who remembered his childhood after the war.
    Check the video!
    AMAZING WW2 GERMAN TRASH PIT, HELMET, PANZERFAUST and more - YouTube

please subscribe

Also helmets for sale, but I don't know how to post them in the for sale page.

Last edited by Ollie Digger; 10-28-2020 at 03:59 PM.

CSW
    ?

An interesting find that deserves to be appropriately and professionally documented. I certainly think you should inform your local museum officials.

That is not how it works here. Here you keep what you find when given permission by the owner of the land. Museums already have enough WW2 related items. If it was Roman gold I would inform the musea! But it is just metal junk left in the ground after cleaning the fields

Quote by Ollie Digger View Post
    That is not how it works here. Here you keep what you find when given permission by the owner of the land. Museums already have enough WW2 related items. If it was Roman gold I would inform the musea! But it is just metal junk left in the ground after cleaning the fields
    That's pretty much how it is in most countries I think.

In most cases this WWII "detritus" (which is what it is no matter how excited we get about it ) has no archeological or historical significance to the authorities and any commercial value would be subject to any agreement reached with the landowner. In UK certainly, any subsequent dispute (ie the farmer realises that this junk has a monetary value and wants a share) would be a matter for a civil courts jurisdiction but only if a deposition were made.

So, it really is "finders,keepers" you did the work afterall
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

Very nice! Congrats. Amazing finds

You can read through this link for posting items in the classified section of the forum.

Classified ads - Sales /Wanted section tutorial
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Excellent days work , they've cleaned up very nicely .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks for filming! Great looking helmets!

Hi Ollie. thanks for the link to your dig, excellent finds, location and VERY lucky.

I couldn't help notice your excavation device though. There are obviously many tools for this, but if you want something small, cheap and perfect for this kind of work I would highly recommend you take with you a basic good quality hunting/fishing knife. Fixed plastic handle with about 5"-6" (13-15cms) blade. At least just to loosen up and break into the ground. A good one wont bend and it doesn't matter if it loses its cutting edge. It will ensure you don't damage items, especially glass and porcelain.

The problem is with heavy dried clay or gravelly stony soil and especially soil with large flint chunks is that spades and even small trowels just wont penetrate hardened clay, and they immediately stop when they hit a stone. It may sound odd but the knife will allow you to lever out or loosen large chunks faster than you would expect. I've had to use this frequently in the soil of France and sometimes I've even excavated more than a metre in depth where it was almost impossible without this. Just a thought. I don't want to be rude. But I never thought to try this myself for the first 2-3 years of detecting, and really regret the time lost, and frustration prior to adding this small basic item to my kit. Good luck. Francis.