Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A humble plea for future generations

Article about: Just got this "offer"... I hope you take a minute to read it through. I will not comment further on this issue... Best, Jan Question: “I have a question about battlefield relics.

Good afternoon Vegetius. The points you make are obviously very true and make perfect sense. Thank you. Do you mind if I ask you the country/ region in which you are operating?
    Regards
    Francis

Francis, I operate in EOD in the UK, Germany, France and Belgium. But have worked all over the world for over 40 years now. Where I am now and what I do unfortunately is between me and the Queen as I cannot, for obvious reasons discuss current work. Archaeology wise I have worked in UK, the Basque region, the Somme, Ypres and Germany as well as Burma for a bit of a WW2 diversity. I had great pleasure doing 3 months in Belgium directing some digs for the Belgian government, during which I appeared before a governmental committee and actually won the case that the Battlefields needed protection and that conflict archaeology was just the same as all the other archaeology being conducted. And to get their money's worth I wrote the archaeological guideline for working on WW1 battlefields for their government! Indeed my work in France opened great channels of mutual communications and has led to a sound working relationship.

I think we can sum it up in a few lines:

If you work/dig in a professional capacity for a State sponsored organisation, with their approval, then it's fine.
    If you are an amateur digger who follows the laws of his (or his host) country to the letter, then that is also fine.

Very interesting thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2