MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

ID help:ground digged plane(?) part

Article about: Hello gentlemen! A friend of mine digged this quite strange item close to the D-Day glidders landing zone near St mere Eglise. I need your knowledges boys!!

Default ID help:ground digged plane(?) part

Hello gentlemen!
    A friend of mine digged this quite strange item close to the D-Day glidders landing zone near St mere Eglise.
    I need your knowledges boys!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID help:ground digged plane(?) part   ID help:ground digged plane(?) part  

kc1
    ?

Default Re: ID help:ground digged plane(?) part

The only thing i can think of is some part of a comms system between glider and towing aircraft running as part of the tow rope, though why a toggle switch wouldn't have done the job i couldn't say. Failing that and judging by the size of the thing maybe the tow rope release with an either already available knob which happened to have pull to talk on it or it was put on to deceive to its actual purpose. Firm gets an order for 2000 pull to release knobs words spoken in pub, careless talk costs lives, abwehr gets to hear and they know a glider force of several hundred are being made, invasion is imminent.

Thanks KC1!
    But sorry to rain on your parade,but my English level is not good enough to clearly understand the second (and really interesting,for what i understand...)part of your reply!!
    I will stay a frog even after a love kiss,sorry!

This is part of a SCR 585-B radio set used in gliders.

BC-721

Babyteeth,you're a master!!Thank you so much!!!

My pleasure Seb. I enjoy hunting down info

Just been reading a little more on this item and on the acorn part of the top nut there should be a number that relates to the cable length. From this you should be able to find out what make/model of glider this was fitted to.

It seems to me that both the Waco and Horsa gliders were fitted with the item.

It’s a nice piece and relatively rare I would think.

Rare?Indeed Babyteeth and thanks for your work also!
    This is a piece of the allies history since it has been dugged near St Mere Eglise.My friend thanks you too for your researchs!