Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Laws and Battlefield Archaeology !!

Article about: Guys the moderating team as a result of the horrendous controvesy surrounding recent events have been reviewing the Battlefield Archaeology section with regard to how we can be as robust as

?

Guys the moderating team as a result of the horrendous controvesy surrounding recent events have been reviewing the Battlefield Archaeology section with regard to how we can be as robust as possible in ascertaining the legitimacy of digging activities that are posted here that all must be done within the law of the relevant country and with all necessary permission that are required to metal detect and / or dig.

We also need to differentiate between those who are metal detecting etc with permission and those who are carrying ouy fully authorised Archaeology including the recovery of the remains of Human Beings from Battelefield sites.

In future it may be that if any member wants to post in this section they must be able to prove either in open forum if they wish or by pm or e mail that they have the relevant authority to carry out these activities lawfully , this has been the policy for some time already but from here on in it will become a rule which if ignored will lead to threads being deleted etc.

As an example in Estonia the following is required , Written permission of the German Volksbund and Russian war Graves , Estonian dept of Antiquities , Local Government for the area and any relevant landowners permission . This covers the use of metal detectors in Archaeological excavations and the recovery of human remains if found , if you do not have these permissions then the use of Metal detectors and the removing of artifacts is illegal and you are subject to arrest by the Police. So be warned all those who think Estonia is a free for all you are very wrong.

Many other countries have similar regulations !!

This will not apply to those who have already proved the legitimacy of their activities !!

regards

Paul

Thanks Paul,
    Would it be possible to put up a sticky in the Mods only section so "we" know who is already proved legit
    Rgds,
    Stefan
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Will do Stefan !!

Hi, new member here. Based in South Africa, during the 1980's & 90's my father worked R&D for a defence company, and often brought back bits and pieces from the development and testing grounds (Expended shells and ammunition casings etc.). Is it ok to post pictures of these items? Maybe a stupid question, but you guys seem to run a tight ship on this forum and I would rather not accidentally get myself banned. As far as I am aware, no laws were broken in collecting this stuff, and it probably does not fall under archaeology either. However I saw the comment about collecting things from MoD property and elsewhere in Europe and thought it best to ask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2