Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for other Normandy WW2 relic hunters.

Article about: Hi, I live close to the town of St Lo in Normandy and have just started MD.I have always had a few site I wanted to try as I am a very keen historian of the fighting between the Americans an

Default Looking for other Normandy WW2 relic hunters.

Hi,
    I live close to the town of St Lo in Normandy and have just started MD.I have always had a few site I wanted to try as I am a very keen historian of the fighting between the Americans and Germans between 6th June and 19th July.
    All my outing have turned up WW2 relics mostly American but my best find is the Muzzle of an MG42.
    I would love to connect with any others out there who live in Normandy to share info and ideas with.
    Michael

I hope you keep within the law as I know in France is a big problem if they catch you with a MD without the right paperwork

It's illegal to dig in France, except for the French Army, near Utah.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

It's bizarre people think they can buy an metal detector and just start merrily digging and removing anything they find with no consideration that what they are doing may be illegal. Being a "keen historian" doesn't mean you don't have to abide by the laws, and in most countries open season for MDers does not exist.

Glad to assist with identification of items Michael but locations and contacts are a closely guarded secret.

@ Je suis charlie ,I have no interest going on the beaches as I know there are restrictions.Also the inland fighting is of more important to me but thank you for your advice .

Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's bizarre people think they can buy an metal detector and just start merrily digging and removing anything they find with no consideration that what they are doing may be illegal. Being a "keen historian" doesn't mean you don't have to abide by the laws, and in most countries open season for MDers does not exist.
    What's bizarre here Anderson is you posting such a un-friendly post based on someone you know nothing about.Firstly so far everything I have found is on my own 17th century property that had troop movement in 1944 and secondly all the MD I intend to do is on an around farms in the area...most of who I know.I would thank you for your input but you have given none.Yes i am new to MD but intend to follow all the rules for my research into the history of the area I live.

I'm not sure what prompted Anderson to erupt in your direction Michael, and I am sure you are in a position to be familiar with the law regarding historical locations in Normandy and have fellow detectorists to advise you as well. Be safe above all things as there are plenty of relics that you can come across that can still kill if not treated with respect.
    Anderson is a very knowledgable and valuable member on the forum and I'm sure his comments were well meant and that you will prove to be an honest and valuable member here.

Bon chance!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I'm not sure what prompted Anderson to erupt in your direction Michael, and I am sure you are in a position to be familiar with the law regarding historical locations in Normandy and have fellow detectorists to advise you as well. Be safe above all things as there are plenty of relics that you can come across that can still kill if not treated with respect.
    Anderson is a very knowledgable and valuable member on the forum and I'm sure his comments were well meant and that you will prove to be an honest and valuable member here.

Bon chance!
    Thank you Black cat for this.
    To be honest I was a little P****d of with Anderson last night feeling like the new kid walking into the playground and have the school bully come across and show me up in front of the whole playground...not nice.This morning I was going to cancel my account on this site and put it down to experience and move on but thanks to your post I am now reconsidering.
    I think the problem here is when you mention Normandy everyone jumps to the conclusion that it's all D-day beaches.(which by the way are mostly illegal to metal detect on) I spend as a Historian and a guide day after day walking on these beaches and I have one isolated spot above the beach that I see holes dug all the time....and not refilled (and also this is an illegal site to MD on).This upsets me as it is an historic site but I would never come on here and rant of at you or Anderson but I am sure this give you all/us a bad name....

Normandy is much more than WW2 beaches people.

Hi, good luck with it i say, please post pictures of your findings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast