Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for a location {s)

Article about: Hey everyone just a few quick questions for ya. I've always been a huge ww1 and 2 history buff and recently have been watching videos of people discovering incredible things all over Europe.

Kpofootball
    ?

Default Looking for a location {s)

Hey everyone just a few quick questions for ya. I've always been a huge ww1 and 2 history buff and recently have been watching videos of people discovering incredible things all over Europe. I live in the US and would love to at some point take a trip do find some myself. My question to you all is where would be the best place or places to go and legally how can I hunt these relics. Finally what can I and can I not bring back with me without too much of a hassle. Thanks in advance

Hi, I have been doing voluntary work in Latvia with a well known and well established search group there since 2002. All completely legit and with the blessing of all involved authorities, domestic and foreign.

There should be a number of search groups available on the net you could contact.

Regarding any finds you might come across,I cannot answer for other countries than Latvia. I know there are several, some quite severe, legal restrictions in most EU countries against this sort of work, at least in western Europe. I have also heard of people travelling from France to Britain having helmets and other items confiscated.

In Latvia it has gone from fairly relaxed to severely restricted since I started out. Very few items are allowed through customs. Medals, badges and such has usually not been a problem but in the past I have been stopped by customs a couple of times for "suspicious items" picked up by the xray.

I always avoid bringing anything even remotely fishy so everytime they stopped me they could find only harmless items like empty WW1 or WW2 bottles and containers, foldable shovel etc.

I have friends who've had rare bayonets confiscated or stolen so it is quite hard to bring stuff home from Europe, at least by air.