Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M35 battle damaged helmet

Article about: Hi I found this one in Normandy about ten years back. It has the remnants of the Heer decal and entry, exit holes.

Thanks Todd. That's interesting about the helmets resistance to .22 round but has you say it wouldn't stand up to larger, close up calibre. I know that these helmets were developed in the first world war with the skirt largely to protect from shrapnel dropping into the trenches. This helmet was found in an area that was subjected to fairly heavy bombing so this is probably shrapnel from aerial bombing. Whatever hit it must have had some force behind it.

The ForĂȘt domaniale des Andaines was plastered by aerial bombing during the battle as the Germans had a number of ammunition and supply depots in the vicinity. I hope you obtained permission to search in the area.

Thank you. Yes the area was plastered in craters. The item was found by a local and bought from him. He had permission to search there.

TWS
    ?

Quote by Bonecollector View Post
    Thanks Todd. That's interesting about the helmets resistance to .22 round but has you say it wouldn't stand up to larger, close up calibre. I know that these helmets were developed in the first world war with the skirt largely to protect from shrapnel dropping into the trenches. This helmet was found in an area that was subjected to fairly heavy bombing so this is probably shrapnel from aerial bombing. Whatever hit it must have had some force behind it.
    You're very welcome. Here's the helmet in question, showing the .22 caliber bullet impacts.

M35 battle damaged helmetM35 battle damaged helmet
    Last edited by TWS; 05-11-2023 at 03:53 AM.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks Todd nice looking helmet, I hope that you don't shoot at it again. Those 22 made serious dents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2