Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My last dig????

Article about: Hi folks. So yesterday I was out digging in the Berlin forests and, as I headed back to my car with detector and spade in hand, I was approached by a local guy. He said that it was illegal t

My European contacts in France and Holland have explained to me on and above of the post on site~ related to repercussion of illegal and legal European sites ~

One told em the only safe state to MD in is Poland ~

Dos
    ?

Just curious.. If you have a good standing with one of the landowners in certain areas that are full of world war history in Germany, Wouldn’t a permission from that person be enough to dig there? I think that would be your best bet to get acces to some of the more interesting places. Or does the German law prohibit this?

Goodluck,

-Dos

In France they will confiscate your equipment, the car you are in, fine you and in sever cases put you in prison. When working there with my french counterparts we have done exactly that!

Quote by Dos View Post
    Just curious.. If you have a good standing with one of the landowners in certain areas that are full of world war history in Germany, Wouldn’t a permission from that person be enough to dig there? I think that would be your best bet to get acces to some of the more interesting places. Or does the German law prohibit this?

Goodluck,

-Dos
    German law governs (in most States) digging for historic objects. War relics are historic objects. In some States simply searching for anything in the ground is governed by law irrespective of how you do it. Apply for consent with the responsible Landesamt für Denkmalpflege and when it's granted... You don't get fined or threatened with a jailterm.
    As a Footnote: Bavaria also has regulating laws which they're not afraid to use.
    Landowners are exactly that! They are not the lawful owners of relics, so while they can grant you permission to be in their property they so not have the right to "permit" prospecting or detekting

In France, Police and Gendarmerie are on ebay everyday, Youtube, Leboncoin...Because many times, the diggers are selling what they found!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Whichever the country, the laws exist for very good reasons;

1. To protect archeological remains - a matter of cultural imperative.

2. To protect the fallen from desecration of their final resting place - a matter of respect.

3. To protect the ill-informed from getting themselves killed or maimed (that's worse as it costs the rest of society more) -a matter of common sense.

We as collectors would mostly all love to find our own items but perhaps barns and attics are a better hunting ground.

Whether in a "legal" dig location or not just remember "when his pin is out, Mr Grenade is NOT your friend".

Just because you are only looking for the benign does not mean you will not find the malignant!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

+ 1
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2