Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Normandie Battlefield Find

Article about: Hi Everyone, I found this item about 3 years ago just off the D512 that runs through the village of Viessoix in Calvados, Normandie. It appears to be some kind of antenna base, there is a fl

?

Default Normandie Battlefield Find

Hi Everyone,

I found this item about 3 years ago just off the D512 that runs through the village of Viessoix in Calvados, Normandie.

It appears to be some kind of antenna base, there is a flex cable running through it which reinforces this theory. However, I'm not sure if it's from WW2 or just junk that has fallen off a tractor, I'm inclined to think it's from the war due to it being green and was found in a location with lots of other wartime artifacts, and don't think tractors have antenna!. The item also appears to be made from brass and looks to have been cast rather than machined.

The battle for Viessoix was fought by the British against the Germans, with the Americans using the D512 after the battle. This leaves multiple vehicles that it could have come from.

The actual base is slightly angled which most likely means that it was attached to some sort of sloped armour.

I've done lots of searches on Google images without yielding any results.

Any ideas on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Normandie Battlefield FindNormandie Battlefield FindNormandie Battlefield FindNormandie Battlefield Find

?

Just done a little more research and it's not an antenna base, it appears to be a Sherman tank headlight mount!

+1 with Colin.

I just noticed your the original starter of the thread lol, you are correct in your research it is a headlight mount.

Amazing condition for being exposed to the elements for 75 years!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Amazing condition for being exposed to the elements for 75 years!
    That was also my initial thought, hence why I wondered if it was tractor junk.

There is a very small 'chip' not sure if it's visible in the photo, but under the paint, the metal is gold in colour, which makes me think it's made from brass, however, it has not dulled, so maybe it is actually gold

Found a few items that day, mostly spent cases and shrapnel, the other interesting item was one of the discarding sabot pieces from a 6 pounder.

I've got a very rusty German helmet (Mont Pincon) and a barrel from an M1919 .30cal (St Sever-Calvados), German 1 pfennig Nazi marked coin (St Lambert sur Dives), a track link from a Universal Carrier (Viessoix) and loads of other junk.

Found a couple of full assembly photos online.
    Seemingly they were used on the M3 Stuart and M2 halftracks as well....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandie Battlefield Find   Normandie Battlefield Find  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "