Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?

Article about: Spent a few days walking around Fontenay, Rauray and Tessel, the location of such an important Normandy battle in late June and early July 1944. I found a tentpeg poking out from disturbed g

Default Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?

Spent a few days walking around Fontenay, Rauray and Tessel, the location of such an important Normandy battle in late June and early July 1944. I found a tentpeg poking out from disturbed ground next to some roadworks at Le Montoir, quite close to Tessel Church. I understand this was the scene of fighting between the 24th Lancers, 12 KRRC and 6./SS-Pz.Rgt 12 on 26th June. There's quite a bit of potential battle damage to the building it was next to and I've marked where I found it with a red arrow.

It doesn't look like the typical German tentpegs I've seen, but is similar to the 1940 ones I've attached below (as well as a few modern pegs). There's faint lettering near the top where I can make out '...ur'. Any thoughts woud be much appreciated.

Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?

Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist? this is an image of it if it was the same length as the Swiss stake you sent. The thickness and the hole in the top isn't quite right so I'm not sure, but still very interesting .

Looks very similar to Hitler Jugend issue, which would make sense. There ought to be more details on the back though.

Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist? I believe that I have found them these have writing in the exact same place as you showed on yours But the seller just calls them French/Belgian surplus.
    Last edited by Dr. DTMUNG; 08-31-2022 at 05:22 PM. Reason: website keeps changing its nationality

Thanks, definitely the same shape as the thinner ones and with the same ridge running down the centre. The lettering on mine appears to be lower case though and reminded me of the style stamped on an MG42 mashup I had. Wishful thinking no doubt.

Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?

Possibly made by....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy: Operation Martlet tentpeg or careless tourist?