Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Original "Nach Stalingrad" sign from the 14th Panzer Division

Article about: I purchased this "Nach Stalingrad" (To Stalingrad) pointer sign of the Wehrmacht's 14th Panzer Division from a guy who lives in Volvograd (formerly Stalingrad) earlier this year an

Came across this one, quite similar in condition. Price is also really good

Original "Nach Stalingrad" sign from the 14th Panzer Division

WW2 GERMAN LUFTWAFFE ROAD SIGN PITOMNIK AIRFIELD - BATTLE OF STALINGRAD RELIC | eBay

Alright, so I finally have an update on getting my money back for the fake sign... what a total nightmare. I'll try to keep it as short as possible but a lot has happened.

I talked with eBay on the phone and they said I'd have to contact PayPal since I couldn't even open an eBay case because so much time had passed and it was no longer in their system, they said. I received the fake sign 3.5 months after buying it, and even though eBay's money back guarantee is supposed to cover you up to 30 days of actually receiving the item (which I made my claim within that time frame), because they said it was no longer in their system, eBay did not honor their money back guarantee despite also saying they'd make accommodations for how COVID-19 is affecting shipping times. Total BS! All of the money I've paid in eBay fees over the years are really paying off, NOT!

I opened a case via PayPal and explained everything to them about how the sign is fake yet was sold as an original. I also provided PayPal with proof of other fake signs the seller was selling, including a U.S. 1st Cavalry Division sign "from Normandy" LOL.

The seller at first didn't argue about the sign's authenticity -- saying he'd refund me after he gets the sign back, claiming that the sign was actually found by another person who "deceived him" and how he also was going to get his money back after he returns it to him after I return it to him... ummm okay.

I said the sign is FAKE -- it is worthless -- and I told him that the return shipping he'd have to pay me wouldn't be worth it as the sign is heavy and it'd have to travel from the United States to Russia. I was adamant that he pay return shipping, and he agreed, saying "do as you see fit let it remain on your karma" ... WTF?

I was hesitant and afraid that he wouldn't reimburse me for return shipping after I shipped it out -- why should I trust this scammer? Unfortunately, to get a refund in PayPal, you must do as the seller chooses (in this case wanting the fake sign back), and you'd only get a refund upon delivery of the returned item... I filled out the customs forms, marked the item as a return, and I shipped it back... the cost? $110.50, OUCH!

It gets worse. Once the fake sign arrives to his post office in Russia, he decides he doesn't want to pick it up! PayPal saw through this BS and finally gave me a refund of $280.90 (what I paid for the sign), but the extra $110.50 that I paid to send it back is just money down the drain.

I argued with the seller that he still owes me $110.50, but then he claimed the sign is real. He said "I contacted the person who sold me this sign, and he assures me that the sign is original"... wow!!

I called him a total scammer, and then he got pissed off and told me he's calling the police on me LOL. He said "dear, don't you think that you are not in control of yourself, or you have imposed on yourself the functions of the court and pass verdicts on fraud? I'm going to have to report you to the Sheriff, for insulting my honor and dignity, and protecting my business reputation, for calling me a fraud."

Unbelievable...

Eventually I'll receive back in the mail a worthless fake Stalingrad sign that I'm still in the red $110.50. I'd rather lose that than $280.90 though, and on top of that, I'd rather know the truth.

Thank you all.

CSW
    ?

Thanks for the update mate. That does suck but it's at least a good thing you got some of your money back. A lesson learned I think...

Perhaps you could try to sell the sign to some reenacting group if and when you get it back? Obviously not for 100+ dollars but maybe you could get a few bucks back that way.

Yes, very much a lesson learned! And I'm not sure what I'll do with the sign when I get it back, but I don't want to see it again haha.

I'm going to be especially cautious in the future and stick to things that are harder to fake (at least until I'm more educated -- but I certainly learned a lot from this). I really like guns though. A big regret I have is not picking up a beautiful 1943 Finnish SAKO M39 Mosin Nagant earlier this year at Cabela's for $350. When I went home, I researched it to discover it's worth double that. The next day I went back and she was gawwwn.

?

Well just keep the sign as a warning. It still has a story with it, albeit a negative one. You have my sympathies as most of the collectors have been scammed in their hobby. As I mentioned in a previous thread I was tricked for 400 euros not long ago. It made me furious for days, weeks even and my woman laughed at me for it, because it is all my own fault. Now I laugh about it, lesson learned. I am sure you will find something awesome instead. Such a shame though because to own that sign for real must be awesome if it was authentic. Now please share on the other thread about your GF's boss! I must not be the only one curious about that outcome.

If I were you, on one side I would mark it somewhere small with "Reproduction". As if you sell this onto anyone I can see it ending up back online or in an antique shop with a 20.000 USD price tag, one of kind.
    Glad you were able to at least get some of your money back.

Morris

That's a badass relic, wow.

?

WOW, just found this thread; what a saga and a great read for all of us who've been and will be scammed. On a positive note, your 14th Panzer photo in custom frame is just amazing! Not just the tank but the ground, buildings, soldier, dead body parts, equipment etc..fantastic! I looked at it for almost 10 minutes.

Quote by Niedersachsen View Post
    That's a badass relic, wow.
    I posted this without reading the thread. Now I read the whole story and I suddenly read my own comment I'm like, what? lol

Glad you got part of your money back and best of all, sharing this with us so everyone can learn.

Chris

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5