Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reichskriegsflagge U-boat base Lorient

Article about: Some time ago I had the opportunity to buy this Reichskriegsflagge from a militaria dealer in France. He said he got it from the son of a french WW2 navy veteran. His father, named Pierre G.

Default Reichskriegsflagge U-boat base Lorient

Some time ago I had the opportunity to buy this Reichskriegsflagge from a militaria dealer in France.
    He said he got it from the son of a french WW2 navy veteran.
    His father, named Pierre G., sailed the last years of the war on a french navy ship along the african coast.
    Their last assignment during the war was to assist the US Navy with recovering in May 1945 the german perimeter of the U-boat base and the town of Lorient.
    During the land battles he was able to get this flag and take it with him. He kept it all the time with him until now.

The flag had to endure heavy bombing since 1943 and this last battle. It shows clearly the damage and gunpowder rests.

After my own research I conclude there were to of this flags. On the hotel Gabriel which was at that time the command office of the Kriegsmarine and on the Saltzwedel Kazene.

I sadly didn't get hard proove that this flag was indeed one of them. But in my mind it is and in this way history is getting very close.
    I am glad I can share this historic flag with the rest of the world.
    Reichskriegsflagge U-boat base LorientReichskriegsflagge U-boat base LorientReichskriegsflagge U-boat base LorientReichskriegsflagge U-boat base LorientReichskriegsflagge U-boat base LorientReichskriegsflagge U-boat base Lorient

?

I like it. Very nice piece of history. Yours is early version used from 35 to 38 i believe. I have Helmond Holland same size.

Per the below post 100x170cm, 500 to 1500 tons, DE-Torpedo Boat 900 tons

Original Kriegsmarine flag?

Thanks for sharing Tim

Don't know about the story, but the flag looks good.

Thanks for the link
    Hans

There is a Kriegsmarine M visable, but sadly exactly on the eagle with swastika is a black gunpowder spot.

Reichskriegsflagge U-boat base Lorient
    But you can still see it and it looks to me an early eagle.
    Hans