Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a runway lamp?

Article about: Hi all. I am seeking the wisdom of members who are familiar with things airfield related. This is a surface find from on old ww2 airfield and I think I have seen similar things advertised as

Default Is this a runway lamp?

Hi all. I am seeking the wisdom of members who are familiar with things airfield related. This is a surface find from on old ww2 airfield and I think I have seen similar things advertised as runway lights? Is this correct? The only markings are on the knob saying FOCUS and on the rim saying TOP. Any thoughts are appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a runway lamp?   Is this a runway lamp?  

Is this a runway lamp?   Is this a runway lamp?  

Is this a runway lamp?  

Default Re: Is this a runway lamp?

A runway lamp would not need to be focused - aircraft would just need to see the light. This is probably a reflector from a vehicle spotlamp ( still possibly airfield /aircraft service equipment related )

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Re: Is this a runway lamp?

I suppose it could be a runway approach lamp or indicator, as it isn't sturdy enough to be buried in tarmac and run over by aircraft.

They were/are adjustable depending on day/night/weather and having a focal plane may be an option for certain uses.

Then again it might be anything really.......

Is this a runway lamp?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.