Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Some finds from last sunday

Article about: by Zeller I see some rims of leather on the handle - left side of the pic. Of course leather is very seldom preserved in soil, but I have no idea what is below the leather on those knives. I

Default Re: Some finds from last sunday

Quote by Zeller View Post
    I see some rims of leather on the handle - left side of the pic. Of course leather is very seldom preserved in soil, but I have no idea what is below the leather on those knives. It looks like something solid, not bone though.

The white thing on the bottom of the handle is some kind of corroded metal, on the image its much whiter then its actually is

To me the last photo's items look like the carbon rods from the centre of batteries. The battery its self having corroded away. But Im not so sure about the smaller items.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Quote by kalehond View Post
    Also,
    can somebody tell me what these strange things are?:

They are corroded batteries, as Steve has said the central carbon rod is a good indicator. Often on the surrounding compound there are marks from thread that was tied around it before it was put inside the (now gone) metal or paper casing.

All the best,
    PB

(I tried repeatedly to post this since 9.30 last night but the forum locked up each time, so if they all appear please delete the surplus ones. )

You sure have a lot of batteries there If you find any more of those, now you know what they are, chuck them in the nearest big prickly bush so you don't find them again That's what I do.........damn things are everywhere !

Steve T

Thanks Steve, i'm happy you identified them as batteries because i didn't know what to do with them and, to be honest, i was a little afraid of those odd little things... There were a lot just layin around on the site!

as for the knife, i found a rust remover from HG. Hope it will work!

?

Hello, careful with rust removers. Can you let us know the components before using it? some will alter the colour of the relic and will actually do more damage than cure...

I am also glad they're just batteries. I have my own rule which says : never pick up what you don't know and looks odd. Considering that here it's littered with WW1 ordnance it's a good self-advice
    Regards

Matt

Quote by Zeller View Post
    Hello, careful with rust removers. Can you let us know the components before using it? some will alter the colour of the relic and will actually do more damage than cure...

I am also glad they're just batteries. I have my own rule which says : never pick up what you don't know and looks odd. Considering that here it's littered with WW1 ordnance it's a good self-advice
    Hey zeller here's a pdf with consumer information of this rust remover: http://uk.hg.eu/userfiles/product/in...st_remover.pdf

There's a lot of acid inside, but i doesn't tell me anything. Hope you can advice me

and off course i will not put it on the whole knife but only the blade, i'm hoping for some text or numbers to appear

?

it's mainly phosphoric acid. You can try with the blade, but I think you should need a rust converter rather than a remover. After you finish the treatment (put your acid diluted with water 1:5 to start), I'd suggest you wash the blade with water and sodium carbonate.
    Regards

Matt

Quote by kalehond View Post
    Thanks Steve, i'm happy you identified them as batteries because i didn't know what to do with them and, to be honest, i was a little afraid of those odd little things... There were a lot just layin around on the site!
    No problem. It's always better to be safe than sorry. These are a very common find on old bases and gunnery ranges and drive me NUTS ! Even the damn carbon rod core sets my detector off.......clear them from the area then go over and re-detect. There may be stuff beneath them that you will want

Steve T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2