Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

3 piece hanger in use on parade

Article about: I come across with this interesting photo on WAF. On this photo can see that every SA man wears dagger with 3 piece hanger. So I start wonder, was there any regulations how to wear daggers o

Default 3 piece hanger in use on parade

I come across with this interesting photo on WAF.

On this photo can see that every SA man wears dagger with 3 piece hanger.
    So I start wonder, was there any regulations how to wear daggers on parade?
    And is there any documentation about, which SA standarte ordered daggers with what kind hanger?

Photo credit R. Bailey.

Thank you for any help.
    -TJ-

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3 piece hanger in use on parade
    P
    Many

The 3 pc hanger when fully closed making the dagger vertical ...would restrict movement and swing ...and of course when opened ...due to the counterweight in the scabbard ...it would allow a 45 degree hang.
    In the vertical postion in marching and field exercises.

The question of documentation if there was an order for that ..I do not know if one exists..and Dave H who has written a section on Wittmanns SS Book can comment on any regulations.

When this hanger was created IMO the SA had 2 things in mind which makes sense as I noted above ..the 2 uses that the hanger was created for.
    Below is period documentation about the hanger and if you or anyone else ..or if member Willmore or Blackcat is reading this ...they can translate it for you.

Regards Larry

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi guys.

Here is a translation of the text from the picture that Larry posted.

Betrifft: Tragart des Dolches

Mit Sofortiger Wirkung wird für den SA Dienstdolch ein Dolchfeststellriemen eingeführt. Der Dolchfeststellriemen wird mit dem Unterteil des Druckknopfes von der körperseite her durch den Ring der Dolchtrageschlaufe und den Gürtel des Feststellriemens gezogen.

Subject: Way of carrying the dagger

A dagger locking strap will be introduced for the SA service dagger with immediate effect. The dagger locking strap is pulled through the ring of the dagger carrying loop and the belt of the locking strap with the bottom part of the snap fastener from the body side.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Will.

Thank you so much Larry and Willmore.

It would be interesting to know, if there is any documentation of SA gruppe order a large amount of daggers from SA head office.
    As what I have read, SA groups reported demand of daggers and collected money from SA mans. Price for SA dagger with short hanger was 7,55 RM.
    -TJ-

?

I can't answer the questions about specific orders for 3-piece hangers, but there had to be orders as they were very widely adopted quite quickly.

The 3-piece hanger was easy and fast to apply. Just add a small leather piece with a snap and a small loop to the short hanger and belt loop that the man already had.

One interesting question was why the SA/NSKK used the 3-piece rig and the SS used vertical hangers.

Thanks Dave for chime in.

Quote by Dave H View Post
    One interesting question was why the SA/NSKK used the 3-piece rig and the SS used vertical hangers.
    I didn't notice that one, but now when you mentioned it... It is interesting question.
    -TJ-

We do know by period photos that the SS did not use the retainer loop on their 3 pc hangers ...but allowed them to be carried at a 45 degree angle.

So seen in this period photo subforum here > SS - Schutzstaffel

Its rare to see an SA vertical coffin hanger but they are out there and there are SA vertical Hangers...but not as plentiful as the SS Vertical hangers.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thumbs up

I agree.

Many SA vertical hangers are home made rather than copies of the SS coffin lid style. And the SS almost never used the three piece hanger.

But never say never. This one is in TW's SS book.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Its rare to see an SA vertical coffin hanger but they are out there and there are SA vertical Hangers...but not as plentiful as the SS Vertical hangers.
    I had seen few times on sale SA vertical hangers and they sold in a seconds.

But never say never.
    Agree with Dave. Never say never.
    -TJ-