MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

August Merten Dienstolch

Article about: I have seen this dagger for sale, but the Gau mark is SW, and Larry's list doesn't show Merten making them for that Gau. Is this an assembled parts dagger, or just one of those odd ones? Loo

?

Default August Merten Dienstolch

I have seen this dagger for sale, but the Gau mark is SW, and Larry's list doesn't show Merten making them for that Gau. Is this an assembled parts dagger, or just one of those odd ones? Looks to have had the wood well-scrubbed post-war, but the blade looks pretty clean. Sadly the piece at the end of the scabbard took a beating. The pommel nut, crossguards, and wood look like they have survived pretty well. Any opinions welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture August Merten Dienstolch   August Merten Dienstolch  

August Merten Dienstolch   August Merten Dienstolch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement August Merten Dienstolch
    P
    Many

A Peek inside the guard would help and Gruppe "Sw" is not a known designation for that Producer as you have stated.
    I will dig deeper into this and give you my thoughts

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Is the scrubbed clean wood a problem?

I wouldnt say scrubbed but maybe handled by the SA Mann. I could not make that determination if it was sanded down unless I had it in my hands.

IMO I feel the scabbard doesnt belong but just a gut feeling. Other than the gruppe mark "Sw" ..the dagger appears to be good.
    I collect what is presently consistent unless a few more of the same arises. The fit looks good ..but with August Merten being one of the larger early producers the SA Gruppe marks listed in a pinned thread here have only sighted with those listed Gruppe marks.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill