Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Auschwitz found SA Dagger

Article about: A bit of a strange post, it is an Auschwitz relic, where an SS division was active (although the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe were active in the Auschwitz sub camps e.g. Gemeinschaftslager Buchen

Default Auschwitz found SA Dagger

A bit of a strange post, it is an Auschwitz relic, where an SS division was active (although the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe were active in the Auschwitz sub camps e.g. Gemeinschaftslager Buchenwald-West)
    I saw this picture in a photobook about all sorts of things found on the camp grounds, prisoner belongings, paperwork, SS related items, from both sides, letters, furniture, torn off collar tabs,... It is published by the museum, Auschwitz.org, and claims to be totally genuine and authentic. I know this forum isn't always about history and provenance, and we all like to see textbook features/value. I find it strange that SS men took their SA daggers with them (assuming the SS man was in the SA at first), considering the quarrel between both organizations. And what I notice is, that the dagger, very rare maker Ludwig Groten, has plated fittings where the dagger itself is an early M33 and a lot of pitting on the blade. I always thought these daggers where 'messed' with after the war, and fittings or scabbards where not that easily changed during the period. (Transitional? Can't see maker mark) The book states it is a mix of items that are shown and kept (not shown) in the museum, found at the liberation and some shortly after.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz found SA Dagger   Auschwitz found SA Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Auschwitz found SA Dagger
    P
    Many

Yes a strange but interesting post.

Alot of these belongings especially to SS and SA men were tossed around towards the end of the war when they were trying to evacuate form advancing forces. So yes I can believe that this dagger may have been found in that area and could of been left behind and picked up by one of the allies.

The story of this dagger belonging to an SS man has some credibility..but is not as the title states an Auschwitz SA dagger. A personal effect left behind possibly. Some others may exaggerate the truth when writing or reporting these finds before publishing.
    The dagger itself is all early construction including the motto font type...the scabbard is mid to late period.

Thankyou for your post ...there are many of these groupings to be found throughout that and many other areas.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for your reply Larry, found it interesting too. Should have written Auschwitz 'found' SA Dagger since there is no such thing as an Auschwitz dagger.

Title edited

More thoughts and replies welcome as long as it remains within topic of these daggers.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Which book is that?

May have been left there by one of the Russian Soldiers on liberation of the camp when he lost his War booty ?