Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

E. Pack & Sohne SA dagger

Article about: Hi Forum, I am interesting in purchasing this E. Pack & Sohne SA dagger. I believe it is a solid one but would like some extra eyes on it from the dagger experts. The seller does not wan

?

Default E. Pack & Sohne SA dagger

Hi Forum,

I am interesting in purchasing this E. Pack & Sohne SA dagger. I believe it is a solid one but would like some extra eyes on it from the dagger experts.

The seller does not want to take it apart to look for maker markings on the crossguards and tang.

I did a bit of homework and concluded thet following:

* Nm territory mark is consistent with this maker.
    * The colour of the grip is a bit off, considering EP&S often had more light coloured wood.
    * The nickle silver grip eagle looks to be the correct EP&S type (Ralf Siegert, page 39)
    * Nice original TR era late RZM hanger but not original to the dagger.

Would like an opinion on the scabbard. Based on the images it is a bit hard to see if it is plated steel or nickle silver. Anodised and good laquer or painted.
    Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement E. Pack & Sohne SA dagger
    P
    Many

Hello Vocht ..I can say with most certainty..the scabbard is late production and was married to this dagger at some point but not during the period.

Your observations are correct on the grip wood as normal with most Pack daggers it is a lighter fruitwood color with medium grain.
    No need to open the dagger as per the request to keep it closed by the seller as I am seeing 2 different crossguards ...and you can see the differences in the accent grooves.
    The lower being much deeper compare to the upper being more shallow.....and look at the gap on the upper right side of the upper guard which also tells me the 2 guards dont belong to each other.
    Both the guards are early.

The L2/371 1940 dated hanger strap comes back to EG Leuner Humbold Str 23 and made SA Hanger straps

So you got a mixed bag of stuff here ( all authentic from what I can see ) within this dagger.
    For myself not one for me.
    What is the selling price?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry, as always thank you for your observation. I did not notice the difference in upper and lower crossguards.
    For me it was unclear if the scabbard was plated steel or nickle silver due to the low-res images. This image maybe shows it even better:

The asking price is 999 EUR which seems to be the new normal for early SA daggers. For such a price I would need to know all the parts fit together by the same maker.
    If anyone has a tip, I have been looking for a HACO and SUHL makers for a while now.

Fittings are silver plated over steel ..scabbard is late,

Wittmann has a Suhl dagger on his list and lakesidetrader has 2 Hacos listed check it out !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Vocht,

Im also from the Netherlands, saw this advertisement too. ( didnt like the crossguards, but im still learning too )

IMCS militaria, has a J.P. Sauer.& Sohn, Suhl Dagger on stock.

price is a bit more then 999.

dont have any expierence with buying there, maybe a view worth.

Regards,

Rookie

Quote by RookieSA View Post

IMCS militaria, has a J.P. Sauer.& Sohn, Suhl Dagger on stock.

Rookie
    IMO... that dagger is a mess if you really look at it.

?

Thank you Rookie, I have not seen that before. The crossguards don´t look thick enough to be a Suhl piece.
    J.P. Sauer is really a great maker.