Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe

Article about: Finally I have found time to attempt photographs of my recent Justinuswerk dagger purchase. I have to say, these things are really tricky to capture without reflection but I think i've done

Default Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe

Finally I have found time to attempt photographs of my recent Justinuswerk dagger purchase. I have to say, these things are really tricky to capture without reflection but I think i've done OK after taking notes from other nicely photographed examples such as those from gerrit and Larry C.

This example is a nice, early Justinuswerk which I think is a fairly uncommon maker and I have to say I love the battleaxe logo. The blade shows great crossgrain (REALLY hard to photograph) and despite the usual runner marks would have to rate as near mint if it weren't for one annoying corrosion spot. I would try to do something with that mark but Paul from Lakeside Traders advised against it. I might simply give the blade a renaissance wax coat and hope that seals it against further damage. The etching is quite dark and looks great in hand.

The handle is in great condition with only a tiny crack above the SA button to detract. It doesn't appear the dagger has ever been taken apart as the fit is good and the tang nut undamaged. I certainly see no need to pull it apart anyway. The nickel fittings show great patina but I have to say I am resisting the temptation to spiffy them up as I think they would come up very shiny and purty. The nickel eagle looks never to have been molested.

The scabbard I believe has been repainted as the screws have all been turned but whoever, and whenever they did it, they did a good job IMO. As is so often the case, the ball has taken a hit at some time.

Overall this is a nice piece that I'm proud to share with the forum.

Please enjoy the images!

Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe
    P
    Many

?

Hi Glenn,

thx for sharing this Justinuswerk dagger.
    Im honoured that my photo's inspired you to take another shot at photographing your dagger.
    i will tell you a little secret to get the best result: use a grey background, that absorbs the reflecting.
    Its common thinking that white would give a better contrast, but that isnt the fact, it reflects a lot, as can be seen on the first two pics.

The overall fit of this dagger is great as we can expect from this maker.
    The handle looks great with only the pressure crack above the rune button, to me thats no big deal.
    With the proper dagger tool i would release it a bit ( quarter turn), but i dont think it will get worse then it is now if there is no big change in humidity conditions in where you stash it.
    The cross grain is good on this blade but the spidering under the Motto is something that has to be taken care off.
    You have to clean this BEFORE you seal it with renwax, polish it with SemiChrome and after that seal it.

the scabbard had a repaint, but the throat to lower guard fit is excellent.
    Overal a nice dagger here Glenn

Regards,
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 12-19-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Hi Glenn ....A great maker..as I can add no more than what Gerrit has said. A little simi chrome..will clean it up a bit..seal it with renwax. I can understand Pauls concern..with some blade spots or smudges..that can not be removed..but that black spot starts out as a pin head..which is what i call blade cancer and grows..check out my link below..and see the end result..of what can happen in a short period of time. The WKC dagger I have was spotless when i bought it..i saw a little spot on it..and never gave it a second thought..until it grew. This is he reason for the thread i created..periodic edged weapon maintainence......if left unchecked...something due to climate conditions..or something in the air..wil lay on it. Beneath that blackness is corrosion or rust. The black part is a capsule of that rust..pretty amazing how it stays within its capsule..and spreads larger...as i said...like cancer.
    Overall you the blade is a beauty..as is the whole dagger. Nice find! Regards Larry

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...ance-228130-2/ ...check out post #3 and then post #12
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Is Autosol #1000 - Autosol Metal Polish - 75ml Tube the same stuff as Simi Chrome?

Actually, under magnification the spidering looks to have already been cleaned as all thats left is pitting. I think I should get the Renwax onto it and be done with it. I can't see how Simi Chrome/Autosol will improve what is alreday pitted now. I think the damage is done. What do you guys think?

Early Justinuswerk Hessen-Nassau Gruppe

Hi Glenn glad to hear that .. Maybe the lighting and angle of the photo caused it to look that way. Yes give it a good wipe down and Ren wax it. Glad to see it was removed. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I think at some angles the pitting goes into shadow and looks like dark rust, I'll get the renwax to it ASAP! Cheers!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Is Autosol #1000 - Autosol Metal Polish - 75ml Tube the same stuff as Simi Chrome?
    No way would i use autosol, far too abrasive!....

A sad update to this thread after 2 1/2 years of happy ownership...

3 months ago I relocated from Qatar back to Australia and this dagger (and some other tribal edged weapons I've collected over my 10 years in the Gulf) were included in my household effects shipment with a major international logistics company. After jumping through absolute hoops to have Chief Commissioner of Police approval for the import, then Australian customs approval, paying the appropriate (and extortionate) fees, having the weapons thereby require a second import broker to handle the paperwork and then wait a further week after the household goods arrived in order to have customs and quarantine officers inspect the weapons carton (3 x daggers and 1x sword) the box arrived only to be missing the SA dagger!

The shipper is not returning emails or phonecalls and the state manager of the company has been hunted down (he proved quite elusive) and states that he can't do much as the much-vaunted security camera system will take too long to review all the footage to try and determine who might have lifted my dagger. Local police weren't interested as I couldn't prove the dagger was stolen in this state. It was only when I pointed out "what if this had been a rocket launcher?" did the local police agree to make a report.

Right now no-one is taking a real interest in the fact that a prohibited (and unlicensed weapon) is now loose on Australian soil. Other than that, my insurance excess will mean that around 1/2 of the purchase price of my dagger will not be reimbursed, another shipping fee will be required, another import permit will be required (with fees again, of course) and there is no telling if some customs or quarantine contractor will again decide to souvenir the replacement dagger.

I'm quite sure my dagger will be never seen again so I keep my eyes and ears open (and ask the forum to do so also) in case it should appear on a forum or auction site at any time.

Not happy with thievery!

MAP
    ?

Glenn,

That is a shame. I would be mad as hell and kick up a storm of a fight. Is there no legal action you can take against the shipper?

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast