Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

EP & S Ground Röhm SA-Dagger

Article about: Added the first SA Dagger to my collection yesterday and it turned out to be a ground Röhm (technically a ”partial” Röhm I guess)! It wasn’t sold as such, simply as a Pack SA Dagger,

?

Larry,

I didn't get the email. Use dave@germandaggers.com and resend please
    I'm aware that not all EP&S have the 'straight across' guards, but most of the Rohms I have seen seem to have them

Jackal,

- To make an wrench, find a 3/8" open end wrench end grind it flat on each side so the head is thinner.

- That diamond marked guard is known, but not who it is. GDC has a grossguard reference: Political Dagger Crossguard Mark Identification Gallery

Dave

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EP & S Ground Röhm SA-Dagger
    P
    Many

Thanks Dave

PM sent
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Dave, I checked your link and that Diamond listed as ”Diamond” seems to match the one on my lower crossguard and the ”H” matches what you have listed as well: Now that I have a reference, I see the asterix / star on mine too, beneath the oxidation.

Where does this leave us I wonder? Having turned around the lower crossguard it perfectly matches the contours of the grip and the upper seems flush as well. The Nicotine patina / build-up was so thick that it’s at least 30-40 years of smoking on there and it was on top of the scratches to the nut. With the nicotine staining removed: The patina of the crossguards, eagle and scabard fittings are quite the nice match.

A product of material sharing / shortage? A veterans repair? A GI parts souvenir? .. ?

?

Jackal,

Tom Johnson once told me that he had conversations with original owners / workers about mixed parts many years ago. He said the manufacturers were friends. If one was short of guards, he'd borrow a few from the guy up the street.

Dave

Hi Jack

The "H" marking has been observed on 39 SA producers and 3 SS producers to date.
    No one knows the Identity of this "H" contractor ...but appears this company provided for many of those firms.

Ernst Pack is not in that "H" list as to receiving sub contracted cross guards.

That Diamond logo is the letter "G" inside a square or appears as a diamond has only been observed on SA Producer Hugo Linder.
    No identity to date on this marking and can be assumed as contractor as well.

On to the grip ...alot of these grips are hit or miss when fitting to crossguards ..but the majority of them do fit as the specifications were very close in fit....which makes it easy to pass off.

This may have been a Vet put together post occupation.
    The fittings and over all dagger and scabbard ..are all period produced ...but married together at a later date.

The tang marking is correct for Pack ..but again...Ernst utilized a few tang markings from unknown forge producers.

The more you study these daggers..the more you will absorb in knowledge when going to shows or visiting dealer websites...and armed with this knowledge ...you will see right away the differences in details to what is common with that producer and the details that do not match..you will know right away and want to take it to the next level of research.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Wow, thank you very much for the detailed break-down Larry, sure learned a lot over this dagger!

Obviously somewhat bummed out over it not being a textbook dagger, but at least it displays nicely and hey: The blade is still one out of just 100k Röhm’s.

I’ve also got a early Hitler Youth knife in near mint condition, with motto, that I traded a SD Big Foot Q66 for at a show 2 weeks ago - Now I’m scared posting that for evaluation…

If you dont post it...then it will be weighing at the back of your mind .... No one likes hearin bad news from Doctors or Mechanics...but yet it doesnt have to be bad news either.

Trading a German helmet ...I would have higher value than a Minty HJ knife...but that will be a conversation to continue on the HJ forum..if you are moved to post it for discussion.

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-13-2023 at 02:23 PM.

You’re of course right and I try to live by that motto: ”There is no knowledge that is not power”. I’ll post the HJ knife on the forum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2