Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

First SA dagger to share - Feedback welcome

Article about: Hello everyone, got this early Asso from an older collector over on Wehrmacht-Awards. It's my first SA so I just wanted to share it and any feedback is welcome!

?

Michael I have to disagree on the whole dealer to collector / collector to collector pricing. If I have a XYZ and it is in great shape am I to make discounts on price because I don't have a store front or take a loss on value just because 'So and so' claims that is the structure of selling ? We don't do this with cars and homes and I see no logic in doing this with relics.. There is a member / collector here that has high quality items on his website, and people were trying to beat him up on price, and he told them point blank, this is the price, take it or leave it. No trying to start an international incident here, but I literally have seen individuals that sell at a reasonable price and the buyer wants free shipping and insurance, deal goes through, a week later it's for sale at about 30% higher than they originally bought if for, that's my take on it.. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First SA dagger to share - Feedback welcome  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First SA dagger to share - Feedback welcome
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Fair point G. Yes. regardless of who is selling I'm not saying that someone should take less than what they can get.....

But I still think dealer prices have associated costs built into them. and as a Buyer I would "try" not to pay those "costs" if possible when buying from another collector

That said... by nature I'm not a "haggler" and I'm a sucker and often will pay up if I really really want it
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

impressive dagger ! congrats

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Michael I have to disagree on the whole dealer to collector / collector to collector pricing. If I have a XYZ and it is in great shape am I to make discounts on price because I don't have a store front or take a loss on value just because 'So and so' claims that is the structure of selling ? We don't do this with cars and homes and I see no logic in doing this with relics.. There is a member / collector here that has high quality items on his website, and people were trying to beat him up on price, and he told them point blank, this is the price, take it or leave it. No trying to start an international incident here, but I literally have seen individuals that sell at a reasonable price and the buyer wants free shipping and insurance, deal goes through, a week later it's for sale at about 30% higher than they originally bought if for, that's my take on it.. G
    Quote by MAP View Post
    Fair point G. Yes. regardless of who is selling I'm not saying that someone should take less than what they can get.....

But I still think dealer prices have associated costs built into them. and as a Buyer I would "try" not to pay those "costs" if possible when buying from another collector

That said... by nature I'm not a "haggler" and I'm a sucker and often will pay up if I really really want it
    I think if the item is rare or pristine condition, then a higher than normal price is reasonable. I wasn't trying to rip the guy off, and I don't think I did. I just thought the price point of $1,150 was high for this particular item based on what's out there. He offered to pay the shipping and if he felt it wasn't a fair price, I don't think he would have sold it to me. Interesting you raise this though. Some folks at WAF told me that since there was no crossgrain they said this dagger wasn't worth more than $700, regardless of the handle and attachments. In my case I disagree. I'm not paying a $300 premium for some crossgrain and depending on who you talk to, crossgrain doesn't matter. See this hotly contested topic here with people from the metalworking industry weighing in: Crossgrain, should i like it ? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums In the case of the dagger I purchased, there still is some faint crossgrain viewable depending on the angle.

Crossgrain easily shows the in and out of runner marks left on the blade and is a reason why those who prefer nice corssgrained blades that do not show the runner marks.

I like also the down and dirty daggers that show ownership with some crossgrain left. Earliest producer that polished some of their blades was Ernst Pack and I can understand the rush to producer a few million daggers over a few months to a year that has left crossgrain on the blade.
    Some would consider the crossgrain process to be the shine you see on a brand new car minus the grind. Its the end finishing process of the blade that collectors and cutlerers appreciate when viewing them for the first time. No runner marks on a brand new knife is very attractive to collectors and I feel the crossgrain process is a radar for collectors that highlights any disturbances left on a finished blade.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2