Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find.

Article about: Those example fittings are not mine, the picture was downloaded from a web site, I thought they looked cheap but I also thought they were supposed to be real, attached is a picture of the on

DDD
    ?

Default German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find.

I have this oak leaf design scabbard fitting/tip that I found in Florida with my metal detector, I'm trying to find out if it is an original relic or a reproduction, it does not have any screw holes to help hold it to the scabbard and that makes me think its an original, here is an attached picture of it. also if it is real it would be nice to know its value.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find.  
    Attached Images Attached Images German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find.
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find.

Hello Triple D Welcome to the forum. Strange that you found this in Florida,, then again anything is possible! This one is a tough call so I am not going to say if its real or not,, but in some of my observations , IMO I feel that the oak leaves are a little on the fat side compared to SA/SS Honor daggers. Not all honor daggers had the lower fitting adourned with an oak leaf motif. It depended upon who was giving the award of honor at that time. So again hard to say. I have seen only "some" Eickhorn examples showing the lower scabbard fitting with these leafs. They are more defined and slender in appearance. I would hang onto it and wait for some other opinions on it. Neat find! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default Re: German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find.

I would say it is part of an very old Spanish dagger! Go back and find the rest of the it. Very cool .

Nothing surprises me with TR stuff. To have found this part buried in Florida...I could easily see some imbecile throwing the "nasty old evil Nazi thing" into the ocean....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

DDD
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Nothing surprises me with TR stuff. To have found this part buried in Florida...I could easily see some imbecile throwing the "nasty old evil Nazi thing" into the ocean....
    Actually it was in a guys yard in Kissimmee Florida, I went back with my metal detector to look for the rest of it but no luck.

Wagriff,what makes you think this is TR? Thanks.

Actually, I doubt that it Is TR. It's somewhat similar but as Larry said, it's not a "right match". In actuality, it could well be from almost any dagger style sheath.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

DDD
    ?

The one the left in this picture (an original TR) appears to have the bigger oak leaves and looks like mine to me but facing the opposite direction, maybe I'm wrong. I did take a close up of mine too and that will make them appear bigger. any more opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Dagger Scabbard Tip, Oak Leaf design no screw holes, metal detector find.  

Im sorry to say that the example on the left is not original. These were a high honor to receive one of these honor daggers. The fittings alone were made of silver. The blade is a fine Damascus maiden hair pattern with "raised" gilded motto and trademark . The fittings on authentic examples were scalloped. I have not seen a true High leaders dagger with oak leaves on the scabbard fittings ,, only scalloped. If they do exist on an authentic example please post it! The examples shown are a cheap plated variety and hardly passable as a good repro. Fact: These daggers where made of quality material and craftmanship. These were not hand assembled by the thousands. True market value of these today will start around $55,000. below is an example of a Chained SA high leaders dagger. look and see on your examples that you posted if the silvering is lifting from the metal. Do you have these in your posession?

Follow this link as one here is listed by Lakesidetrader
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-19-2012 at 02:52 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Wow .So much for the Spanish origin theory,Stunning!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast