Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Questions about Malsch & Ambronn

Article about: Although I purchased this dagger on WAF I wanted to get some additional opinions here. Hello all, I received a dagger today that I purchased on the WAF e-stand and I have some questions abou

Default Questions about Malsch & Ambronn

Although I purchased this dagger on WAF I wanted to get some additional opinions here.

Hello all, I received a dagger today that I purchased on the WAF e-stand and I have some questions about it that I did not notice until having it in hand. It was posted prior to sale and got thumbs up by several people so I want to make sure I'm not reading too much into the details now that I have it in hand. I'm raising these to see if they are a major concern in general as it applies to daggers and/or warrants a return in this case. I used an example from Lakeside Trader for comparison as well as a couple on this site. As we all know, things look different in person and if there are certain differences to be expected in the areas I identified I am OK with that and happy to keep the piece. Here is the original thread: SA Malsch & Ambronn For Review -

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

I believe the seller disclosed everything he knew to the best of his knowledge. He was very patient and accommodating - allowing me to split into three payments since I was acquiring some other items at the same time and was responsive and a pleasure to work with. He also threw in full insurance at no extra cost to me. So again, this post is not about the seller - strictly the item.

I can provide additional photos if requested.

1. While the dagger is heavily polished/cleaned (which is fine) and some crossgrain is still visible, the blade appears slightly shorter and possibly sharpened as compared to my ASSO. I have included photos of me pressing on the tape measure so it is flush with the counter as well as it just sitting. While it is minor length difference, it is present and visible in person. If slightly shortened daggers are fairly common and come with the territory, then it is what it is. I did my best to line the two daggers up for photos.

Questions about Malsch & AmbronnQuestions about Malsch & AmbronnQuestions about Malsch & Ambronn

2. The handle appears shellacked or coated, including the SA button and the adler. You can see "shellac" has settled within the recesses of the adler both in this photo and in the original post. The handle has an almost waxy feel to it, but I suppose this could be years of grime and oils build up? Or do certain manufacturers have different finishes (not counting wood color)? As mentioned in the original post it was not observed that the handle was cleaned.

Questions about Malsch & Ambronn Questions about Malsch & Ambronn

3. Something with the hangar ring - see black line which is smooth and goes all the way around. Maybe the ring was sealed, but why? Not a biggie and this was on the original post but just wonder what's up with it.

4. Differences in the maker mark - the letters on my example appear to be touching the border, while the LST one is not. Spacing and letter shapes are slightly inconsistent in my opinion. Details such as my pump handle appears to be shorter/fatter and doesn't extend out as far from the pump body. Is this something that can be attributed to hand finishing variance?

Questions about Malsch & AmbronnQuestions about Malsch & Ambronn

5. Motto - I realize that there may be some slight differences on each dagger by a maker but these were things that gave me pause and again - I may be reading way too into it. The A is missing the lower left tail and the bottom shape is quite different, the D seems to be missing the tail at the very bottom and the top looks a bit off.

If makers routinely adjusted their mottos that is OK - something I was not aware of. If that is the case, what would prompt an adjustment? Or again is this something that can be attributed to hand finishing variance?

I'm more than likely reading way too far into these things but they are things I am curious about nonetheless!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questions about Malsch & Ambronn
    P
    Many

Someone at WAF chimed in with more specific details on production methods, so I think this one is all good.

As Pointed out on the WAF..I also agree that there are no issues with this dagger except the blade being cleaned heavily.
    All the other details...Malsch was one of those producers who heavily laquered their grips..this is normal to see.
    The carrying ring and detail is correct and most common with other SA scabbards.

The motto is correct and the type has that thin look to it which is also normal for this producer...yet lost all the blackening when it was cleaned.

There will be logo variances seen and minute ..which is common with some producers coming from their art department and template application. I love the grip color and fit to the guards

Relax its all good

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-04-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Dagger is fine as Larry stated nothing wrong with it.
    My advise,
    Don’t dig to deep in it cause it will give you sleepless nights.

Ron

Thanks Larry and Ron. I am trying to be vigilant in this hobby, but maybe too vigilant!

Quote by akriener View Post
    Thanks Larry and Ron. I am trying to be vigilant in this hobby, but maybe too vigilant!
    Better to be vigilant than to throw away money.
    Just like doctors ...you should always seek a 2nd opinion including research on your part .

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill