Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RZM Marked SA Dagger 7/2

Article about: This is the first (and only) SA dagger in my fairly small (but growing!) collection of Third Reich militaria. I was wanting to get the group's feedback on overall condition/quality. I know t

Default RZM Marked SA Dagger 7/2

This is the first (and only) SA dagger in my fairly small (but growing!) collection of Third Reich militaria.

I was wanting to get the group's feedback on overall condition/quality. I know the RZM code is traced back to Emil Voos and a later RZM pattern dagger.

The t-nut, so far as I can tell, doesn't look to have been manipulated as it doesn't have any gouges or scratches to indicate it had been forcibly removed using a tool like a set of pliers but it doesn't turn easily and I don't want to force it...I can grab photos of that if anyone would like them.

The crossguard fits against the scabbard lip cleanly, and both the motto and the RZM mark are clearly legible, it is possible the blade was lightly cleaned and/or polished, but it doesn't look like it was roughly done.

My biggest concern about it is that the handle appears to be a *bit* too big (which you can see in some of the photos) where it doesn't line up/fit exactly with the crossguards...but I don't know if this is something to be a concern or was not uncommon in later pattern daggers as less care was put into assembling them after the war started and hand crafting ceased in construction.

Thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RZM Marked SA Dagger 7/2   RZM Marked SA Dagger 7/2  

RZM Marked SA Dagger 7/2   RZM Marked SA Dagger 7/2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM Marked SA Dagger 7/2
    P
    Many

Hi David ...this dagger is as is expected of the details to be seen on a late production period SA dagger.
    Typical grip fit to crossguards which shows some gaps.

Later on..Invest in an Early SA dagger and you will see the differences in material and craftmanship.
    Congrats on your first

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi David ...this dagger is as is expected of the details to be seen on a late production period SA dagger.
    Typical grip fit to crossguards which shows some gaps.

Later on..Invest in an Early SA dagger and you will see the differences in material and craftmanship.
    Congrats on your first

Regards Larry
    Thanks Larry....after poking around online, my guess is that the gaps and imperfect/poor fits is likely due to the war when quality kind of dropped off a cliff for the late period daggers...this site, essentially says the same thing; SA standard "Hand finishing has disappeared and quality suffers as a result in the form of ill fitting handles and insignia"

I think, issues with the handle aside, the blade is in fair condition from a less common maker and it presents overall nicely...and yeah, my goal is at some point to get a better example of an SA sagger as well as a better SS dagger, as the two I have are very rough around the edges, as it were...good starters, but on the lower end of quality.

?

David,

Congrats on your first SA dagger and piece of history. It is nice when the guards and grips are still tight with no gaps. Whenever materials like wood and metal are paired together there is never an exact fit. Separating and shrinking of the wood is pretty normal with these daggers. Don’t be too hard on the old girl as she is well over 80 years old. The blade is very nice with cross grain still in place. Maker mark and motto have good toning as well. Take care and good luck on your future collecting. Once bitten by the blade bug you will get hooked.

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Congrats on youre first

Emil voos did make some nice quality blades. I also started collecting recently ( end of last year )

Just as what Larry said, the quality did sadly decrease how later the Daggers where made. Nothing to worry about on this one.

Regards.