MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SA Dagger 1937

Article about: This dagger was given to me around 1956-57 by a US Army officer. I have done some research on this website have not seen one with the same engraving on the scabbard. I was wondering what com

RPDII
    ?

Default SA Dagger 1937

SA Dagger 1937This dagger was given to me around 1956-57 by a US Army officer. I have done some research on this website have not seen one with the same engraving on the scabbard. I was wondering what comments this group may have regarding this dagger. It was made by Gustav Ross and has the letter S on the back of the hilt on the handle.

Thank you for any information.

RP Daly II

2. # ADS

Hello welcome to the forum and thanks for showing your dagger. A couple things would help an accurate evaluation greatly, and mostly that would be more photos please? If your asking solely about the inscription? If it was given to you that early I would think it was period done, imo. It looks to have a personal message (heartfelt/sincere congratulations? from what I can make out w/o speaking German) on the crossguard, and the SA region/unit information on the scabbard fitting, along with possibly his join date (I'm guessing). As for the knife what little can be seen I d say it was overly cleaned and the grip had a coat of lacquer sprayed on it or it s heavily oiled? The fits look nice (grip to crossguard). I'm confused on the maker information however. I cannot find a Gustav Ross there is A Gustav Voss but the gau mark you reference (letter S) is not listed as one used by the manufacturer. Emil Voos yes. But again given its history and the length of time you have owned it I'm sure it's more confusion than the dagger being messed with. Again more pictures will help clear things up. Kindest regards.

Brian

SA Dagger 1937SA Dagger 1937

Reference images from Larry's previous post and from germandaggers.com
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 10-17-2019 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Correction of translation (maybe)

MAP
    ?

Yes, the handle has received a heavy coat of lacquer. You can see overflow on the cross guard

And yes, please more photos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Gustav Voss is correct Thankyou Brian !

I personally dont see any issues with the script or the engraving but will wait for Andreas to chime in on the script type.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Interesting..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger 1937  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Other than the Laquer ...what do you see G ?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The handle looks brown under the lacquer.
    Probably a NSKK.

A 9 out of 10 on the McSarr list and the inscription/dedication. Condition aside it would be a very nice piece! Looking forward to more pictures!

SA Dagger 1937

A previous one sold by Lakeside Trader

Early SA Dagger by Gustav Voss | Lakesidetrader

?

Yes, more photos please

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Gustav Voss is correct Thankyou Brian !

I personally dont see any issues with the script or the engraving but will wait for Andreas to chime in on the script type.

Best Larry
    Not much I can add, I'm afraid. As said above, "Herzlichen Glückwunsch" means "heartfelt/cordial congratulations".

"1/J.29" is the 1st Sturm of Jägerstandarte 29. That Standarte was subordinate to SA-Gruppe Bayerische Ostmark and headquartered in Passau in Lower Bavaria.

(I cannot comment on the technical aspects of the engraving.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast