Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.

Article about: Hi all, I bought this one, my first. All comments are welcome with info! I guess there have been some action with the eagle maybe? Your thoughts? Still correct?, thanks.

Default SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.

Hi all, I bought this one, my first. All comments are welcome with info!
    I guess there have been some action with the eagle maybe?
    Your thoughts? Still correct?, thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.   SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.  

SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.   SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.
    P
    Many

?

Is it possible to post photos of the whole blade, front and reverse ?
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Yes, I should have done that from the beginning....hope that this help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.   SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.  

?

Nice !
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

"P" on crossguard means SA Gruppe Pommern. On the list Anton Wingen do not find from Gruppe Pommern, but that list is not perfect. Wait for Larry or Dave's opinion.

All parts are original, it look like grip eagle is changed at some point?
    And unfortunately somebody highly polished the blade, there do not have any crossgraining left on the blade.
    -TJ-

First for me to see a Gruppe Mark "P" on a Wingen SA dagger ...anything is possible and would like to see any foundry marks on the inside of the guard.

The blade has been overcleaned and over polished as it looks like all the crossgrain is gone.
    The grip eagle may have been replaced as there are alot of pick marks around the present eagle and alot of gaps as well.
    The top guard does not appear to have been removed but its just one photo angle so hard to say if it was disassembled or the replacement eagle somehow attached to its present position.

In the area of distress noting the gouge marks on the wood is that if this eagle was attempted to be removed ...surely the nickel eagle would show signs of scrape or slight indent...which in magnification .. I do not see any stress on the eagle wings.

Nice dagger with a questionable grip eagle.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Here are my cents.....you asked for all comments, so not only nice ones, so here is mine that comes with a little advise.
    at first sight it looks fine, until..... the blade is shown.
    Totally polished to dead, no crossgrain left and thats a pity.
    To be desireable for blade collectors a dagger should have a blade with the original factory cross grain.
    SA daggers are not that rare so always try to find the best possible one avaiable, even it that means that you have to pospone a buy because you need to save a bit more!
    Finding and buying good daggers will always pay off in the end, with bad blade daggers you will have a hard time selling or upgrading in the future.

Best
    Ger

Hi, thanks for your comments, very interesting!! Yes also not only nice comments was welcome, It was very nice :-)! Good advice!
    Now I am also very curious about the foundry marks on the inside of the guard, it was tight so could not check manually right now.
    I really want to see the markings so I will try!

Hi again, I found another one, Anton Wingen Jr, stamped "P", so for now I will not try to disassemble anything, thanks for your feedback!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA dagger Anton Wingen Jr.  

?

The area around the top of the eagle's wings looks more like the flaking of brittle wood than any attempt to pry out the bird.

I'll also observe that some of the early makers polished their dagger blades to eliminate the cross-grain. Whether this is the case with this blade is hard to tell from photos.

Overall, I'd say you have a well preserved early SA dagger with a seldom seen "P" mark.

Dave