Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?

Article about: Hey all, I've been offered an SA dagger from the estate of a life long collector whom I've purchased many items from over the years. This one he held onto until, literally, the very end... W

Default SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?

Hey all,

I've been offered an SA dagger from the estate of a life long collector whom I've purchased many items from over the years. This one he held onto until, literally, the very end...

Why I'm posting here is to try and determine if this is, as I believe, an earlier pattern dagger. I've read many of the sticky threads here and see the gruppe marking of "Mi" on the list of early makers from J.P Sauer Und Sohn of Suhl. The quality of components in the photos look better than the only one I have to compare to in my collection, an RZM with black scabbard. The wood grain on the handle is particularly nice. I've read that the makers in Suhl sourced their handles from local gun stock suppliers, which makes sense given the grain pattern shown here.

I just want to make sure I've got as much information as possible before making an offer. Not looking for a dollar value, just want opinions on early vs. later. I know the early daggers fetch a higher price than the later ones. He was good to me on price so many times over the years and I want to make sure I'm making the best informed offer I can to his family.

Sorry the photos are so dark, the relative taking them isn't the greatest with technology. As always, thank you for your assistance. Happy Holidays!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?   SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?  

SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?   SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?  

SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?   SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?
    P
    Many

Hi PNW..Merry Christmas ..the dagger itself is correct and perfect for this Suhl producer in every detail..with an added extra treat of a Tiger striped grip. You researched well

Yet ..I would like to see better photos of the scabbard with less flash which I can not discern if the scabbard is early or late production period.

Other than the lack lustre photo of the scabbard the dagger is a winner

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi PNW..Merry Christmas ..the dagger itself is correct and perfect for this Suhl producer in every detail..with an added extra treat of a Tiger striped grip. You researched well

Yet ..I would like to see better photos of the scabbard with less flash which I can not discern if the scabbard is early or late production period.

Other than the lack lustre photo of the scabbard the dagger is a winner

Regards Larry
    Hi Larry,

Thanks for your expert confirmation of what I hoped to be true. Really love the stripped grip. I would have been surprised if it wasn't a good one, this guy seemed to know his stuff.

I got a couple more photos of the scabbard for your review. Not sure they're really much better, but they tried. Thanks!

-Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?   SA Dagger help, is it early, or is it mid period?  

Hi Sam thankyou for the extra photos..the scabbard is a mid period type having nickel plating and being the painted type.

Early Scabbards were anodized ..aka a bluing process. Mismatched but all authentic.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Sam thankyou for the extra photos..the scabbard is a mid period type having nickel plating and being the painted type.

Early Scabbards were anodized ..aka a bluing process. Mismatched but all authentic.

Regards Larry
    Hi Larry, Excellent. Thank you for your expertise. Yet another thing to watch for next time I run across one of these. I'll make an offer accordingly and hopefully have it in my hands soon.

-Sam