Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger Pack fittings & crossguards

Article about: Hi Forum, Can someone elaborate to me what to look for for with EP&S scabbard fittings & lower crossguards? I keep reading about their own distinct features but I cannot see a good c

?

Default SA Dagger Pack fittings & crossguards

Hi Forum,

Can someone elaborate to me what to look for for with EP&S scabbard fittings & lower crossguards?
    I keep reading about their own distinct features but I cannot see a good comparison or obvious thing to look for.
    Trying to study early SA's

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger Pack fittings & crossguards
    P
    Many

Hello Vocht....my apologies to you that your thread slipped under the radar and was not answered

Pack SA gaurds especially the lower guard with have that straight across look to it with a very minimal bend to it that will contour to their own scabbard.

The Upper guard will still have a slight curve to it ...but nothing that of the lower guard.
    Also the accent grooves will be the same as well.

Here is an example from Wittmanns site

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry, thank you for your reply. I appreciate it as you know
    Is this what you mean?

Hi Vocht......it would be the straightness on the bottom of the guard and also straight where the grip meets the guard.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The easiest way to spot in-house Pack fittings is to look at the upper scabbard fitting. They are have a thinner width, and have a thin rolled edge with virtually no flare at the lower sides. They are circular, rather than sloped. Wittmann often describes the Pack screw placement as "offset' rather than parallel, but if they are it's not easy to see (at least for me). I think Larry intended to show another Pack from Wittmann's site, because that one doesn't appear to have the Pack in-house upper scabbard fitting. In addition to the upper scabbard fitting, the lower fitting has a more "drawn" look to the ball, and the screws are placed high. Here is a photo also from Wittmann's website. Unfortunately, the ball on this one has been pushed up so you can't see the "drawn" feature.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger Pack fittings & crossguards  

To complicate matters, I have seen very similar if not the same fittings on other dagger makers products. In particular, Eickhorn. Here is another photo also taken from Wittmann's website. This dagger is an Eickhorn and appears to have the same fittings. Unfortunately, the ball is also slightly pushed in so the "drawn" feature can't be seen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger Pack fittings & crossguards