Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SA Dagger - Worth Buying?

Article about: Hello Everyone, I've been looking to buy a SA Dagger for a while. I've been offered this one for 350 euro. What worries me is the blade - its marked ( I've marked a couple on the pictures wi

?

Default Re: SA Dagger - Worth Buying?

Anybody got any opinions on this NSKK dagger with the late RZM blade & all early solid nickle fittings & early black period scabbard re-paint ???,
    just does not ring true to me this dagger guys.
    Regards Scott.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger - Worth Buying?
    P
    Many

Hi Scott, the problem is old stock early nickle crossguards did get used up and can be found on later production RZM only marked daggers. The scabbard repaint is harder to judge, due to it's very nature of being a repaint. Overall I think it is OK. Fit and general wear seem to match.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hello Scott,
    Thanks for the link, packed with useful information. I understand now where you are coming from - early nickel fittings with RZM blade i.e. made up dagger. I did ask the dealer about the painted black scabbard - he said when SA members moved into the transport section of the SA they usually painted them their-selves at the time - to me that sounds plausible. Thinking about the combination nickel cross-guards on RZM blade - the link author doesn't rule it out, he writes - "Good quality RZM pieces, Plated or aluminum cross-guards-- Less frequently nickel"
    If the scabbard, cross-guards, grip came from a early SA dagger it would have a gau mark stamped on the cross-guard or a flat on the cross-guard where it had been filed out - there's no stamp, no flat.
    On Saturday 31th October there's a military collectors meeting in the town I live, we meet last Saturday in the month, a couple of the members are big into daggers. I'll take it along and show them, let you know what they say.
    Best Wishes.

?

Ade yes i know what your saying mate but its probably the early re-painted black scabbard with nickle fittings more than the nickle crossguards that gives me concern, Alec thats good news theres no Gau mark on the bottom crossguard, it is true the NSKK members painted there scabbards black in the early days, will be good to hear what the dagger experts say at the military meeting, keep us informed
    Regards Scott.

?

Hello Scot,
    It seems your intuition was not far off the mark, took the NSKK dagger to the collectors meeting on Saturday. The common wisdom was that its a composite of two daggers - early type handle, cross-guards, scabbard, but the blade is from third model type,which we've established here. I put the case, which has been mentioned in this thread, that early type handle and fittings were also matched up with late type blades - that was accepted - but they say, the almost pristine condition of the blade doesn't match with the condition of the cross-guards, handles & scabbard, I see they have a point.
    At the meeting one collector brought a number of different daggers for sale - one I'm interested in is WW1 German Bayonet with a saw edge, hes asking 200 euro - I've included pictures I don't want to buy another composite, do members think its good and is the price right, any help and information appreciated
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger - Worth Buying?   SA Dagger - Worth Buying?  

Attached Images Attached Images SA Dagger - Worth Buying? 

?

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Hello Scot,
    It seems your intuition was not far off the mark, took the NSKK dagger to the collectors meeting on Saturday. The common wisdom was that its a composite of two daggers - early type handle, cross-guards, scabbard, but the blade is from third model type,which we've established here. I put the case, which has been mentioned in this thread, that early type handle and fittings were also matched up with late type blades - that was accepted - but they say, the almost pristine condition of the blade doesn't match with the condition of the cross-guards, handles & scabbard, I see they have a point.
    At the meeting one collector brought a number of different daggers for sale - one I'm interested in is WW1 German Bayonet with a saw edge, hes asking 200 euro - I've included pictures I don't want to buy another composite, do members think its good and is the price right, any help and information appreciated
    Best Wishes
    Hi Alec i knew there was something that did not ring true with your early NSKK dagger with solid nickle fittings & the RZM marked minty later war blade, This blade was most likely fitted at a later date to improve the dagger for re-sale imo, The WW1 sawback bayo is a fair price at 200euro i see no red flags with it but i,m not sure about the portepee if its correct for the period?
    Regards Scott.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4