Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dienstdolch, M7/13 - Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co.

Article about: Hello friends, I took advantage of some nice light outside today to take some photos of my one and only SA dienstdolch, which I think is in very fine shape. Marked RZM M7/13 for Arthur Schut

?

Default SA Dienstdolch, M7/13 - Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co.

Hello friends,

I took advantage of some nice light outside today to take some photos of my one and only SA dienstdolch, which I think is in very fine shape.

Marked RZM M7/13 for Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co. Scabbard hanger marked M5/71 OLC. Appreciate any comments, opinions, etc.

Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dienstdolch, M7/13 - Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co.
    P
    Many

One of the better RZM producers ...but I can not fathom what happened to the blade and the condition it is in..as the scabbard and the rest of the dagger are in pristine condition. Flawless.

Can you provide 2 more photos please.

1. the scabbard throat opening
    2. a top view looking down on the upper crossguard.

I would say this is an unissued condition unless the scabbard was repainted...but something is not adding up.

Please post those 2 photos

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Can you provide 2 more photos please.

1. the scabbard throat opening
    2. a top view looking down on the upper crossguard.
    Here you go Larry. I've left them full resolution in case you need the fine details (forgive any inadequacies in my photography, still learning). If you want more/different angles etc. just let me know.

I figured the tarnishing to the blade was about normal for its age - though I can see why it might raise questions. I think it actually doesn't look so bad in the hand. The photos are really bringing out the contrast (I know, wishful thinking probably!).

?

Larry, Fiore,

That rainbow or color shift on the blade suggests to me a coating of oil at some time. The rust is probably from some trapped moisture

Dave

?

Quote by Dave H View Post
    Larry, Fiore,

That rainbow or color shift on the blade suggests to me a coating of oil at some time. The rust is probably from some trapped moisture

Dave
    Which would quite handily explain a tarnished blade combined with near-mint fittings - easy to imagine how someone would oil a blade, with the best of intentions, but leave the rest alone, no?

Edit: I say 'near-mint', which is true, because there are in fact little bits of wear and tear on the fittings as well. Little bubbles and small lifted portions of the cross-guard plating, small scrapes and such to the grip, scabbard. Perhaps I should upload some macro-shots in full resolution to give a better representation of the overall condition?

That makes sense now..Thanks Dave...under the lighting condtions of the photography ..I could not identify it as oil or grease.
    Most of the time its an easy detail to catch..but this one eluded me.

Best Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-17-2022 at 01:30 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    That amkes sense now..Thanks Dave...under the lighting condtions of the photography ..I could not identify it as oil or grease.
    Most of the time its an easy detail to catch..but this one eluded me.

Best Regards Larry
    As I said, forgive my poor photography skills! It really is a lovely blade, in the hand.

Your photography is excellent...no doubt...Edged weapons are very hard to photograph due to the shine and is hard to capture.

Sometimes its just a slight little move that makes all the difference in the world. Your photos are great.

?

If a blade has been over oiled and put back in his scabbard and stays there for years the following will happend:
    Over time the oil will vaporise and that will free the water component thats inside the oil on the blade.
    That whats made so many waterstains on blades over the time.
    To much oil and years of storage is a bad thing for blades, better dried up grease then a lot of oil.

That would explain the rust and the oil coloured stains.

Ger

?

Use Ren Wax - it's the best.