Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA marked RZM M7/13

Article about: Struggling to find any other markings. I am going to try renaissance wax on this assuming is genuine....after looking at others on this forum I think its genuine but unsure if it is a Franke

Dave beat me to it as I had at one time a stone mint RZM7/13 NSKK with 3 pc hanger ...which had the same pocked etch.
    The RZM7/13 SA Dienstdolch I let get away!!

SA marked RZM   M7/13
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-25-2022 at 03:25 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA marked RZM   M7/13
    P
    Many

?

gerrit,

They are not grinding marks but aggressive cleaning marks

?

Thanks everyone. Is it possible a repro blade had its logo ground off to try put a more convincing one on? Or maybe it had no logo and someone tried putting a fake RZM on but bodged it up and tried again after grinding it off?

Hi Rich...theres no money in it for a faker to go to that extent and place an RZM number on a blade.
    SA daggers that are valued are the early production types which have more superior craftmanship and materials.

There are no traces of grinding or remnant depressed areas if a logo had been ground off.
    This isnt the case with the dagger you posted. Technically a dagger like this is mismatched fittings or aka " parts dagger " ...with some or all authentic Third Reich period fittings from multiple producers.

What has been described in previous comments ,.that this is a late production period blade put onto an early production period fittings dagger.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for clearing that up. For what I paid I am happy enough it is war time and before.

?

I think it is an OK dagger.

Schuttelhoffer was not a big manufacturer - probably more of an assembler. The blade is undated and could be right after the transition when they were using up early parts.

Dave

?

Quote by Dave H View Post
    I think it is an OK dagger.

Schuttelhoffer was not a big manufacturer - probably more of an assembler. The blade is undated and could be right after the transition when they were using up early parts.

Dave
    Dave i have to correct you there, Schüttelhofer was a pretty large producer at the time, (rarity 5-6,) they are more then common to find and looking at their early daggers you will find a very nice ecthed logo.
    Who they contracted to etch their RZM daggers is a mistery to me.
    They produced not only SA daggers but also daggers for army and luftwaffe, and they were the largest producer of HJ knives.

Regards
    Ger

I wonder if the uneven etched lines are more about the steel than the acid. Could be the chemical composition of the steel being used was having some effect on the hardness of the steel and so speed in which the acid ate it away.

As it was explained to me, during the etching process little gas bubbles are formed that dilute the etching process where the bubbles have formed. The correction an easy one when the etcher is monitoring it. Best Regards, Fred

That's plausible Fred, I have seen that when doing print etching at school, though we never disturbed the bubble formation and it didn't seem to result in line that was "pitted" as we seen here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2