Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Schmidt NSKK Dagger

Article about: Folks, I recently picked this dagger up as the dark colored grip appealed to me. It’s an early Carl Schmidt with a later plated scabbard. I had decided that I could live with the plated sc

?

Default Schmidt NSKK Dagger

Folks,
    I recently picked this dagger up as the dark colored grip appealed to me. It’s an early Carl Schmidt with a later plated scabbard. I had decided that I could live with the plated scabbard on an earlier dagger due to the fact that the original owner may have period replaced the scabbard with a new RZM in line with the order to change the color and perhaps didn’t want to paint the initial brown anodized scabbard black. I now have the dagger in hand and as we know, things can be quite different when we get a chance to hold and view a piece. I would much appreciate your views on the scabbard paint and the marriage of the cross guard, blade and handle. (As well as any other observations) I do have my own opinions on this item but feel that it would be fairer for the seller to have it independently reviewed to ascertain if I should hold on to it or return it.

As always, thank you for your time and knowledge
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Schmidt NSKK Dagger   Schmidt NSKK Dagger  

Schmidt NSKK Dagger   Schmidt NSKK Dagger  

Schmidt NSKK Dagger   Schmidt NSKK Dagger  

Schmidt NSKK Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schmidt NSKK Dagger
    P
    Many

Hello Blondi...your observations are correct and is as you say...which I also agree that it is mismatched scabbard to dagger ...but yet Third Reich period.

The dagger itself is correct in all detail and fit.

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you Larry, my main concern was the fit between the lower cross guard and the top of the blade. The daggers that I currently have (and have had) were a little bit more snug although I have had a good look at a large number of other daggers on reputable dealers sites since receiving this one and have noticed that the fit isn’t always just as tight as I have come to expect and perhaps I was over sensitive to this one. If the dagger itself is as it was manufactured, I believe I will hold onto it.
    Thanks again chum
    Andy

?

Good blade, Blondi.

The fit looks OK for a mis-match and the scabbard might be an Eickhorn looking at the thick throat piece.

And judging from the paint on the rear of the scabbard, it had a vertical hanger on it. Perhaps a scabbard from an SS RZM Eickhhorn

Dave
    Dave

?

Hi Dave, and thanks for the reply. The knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I am pleased with the blade and I was always interested in the darkened handles on these daggers. This one still has traces of black paint on the grip. I’ve often heard it said that some NSKK members would have purchased or acquired black scabbards when the order required them to change the color in order that they could retain the original brown scabbard. I’m just not sure how common this was or how often these daggers are found with a mismatched black scabbard.
    Thanks again!!
    Andy

Nice dagger, I like it. Fit is good as stated above.

I believe it was pretty common practice to SA man change scabbard (or paint it) to black when joining to NSKK. It was hard time and money was short, so it would be more cheapper just buy new scabbard and not full dagger, if you already own one.
    It is hard to say when this scabbard become to be part with this dagger. You can observe how patina looks like, is there any match patina between crossguard and scabbard.
    -TJ-

?

Hi Finn and thank you for the information my friend . The patina on the cross guard and the scabbard on this dagger will always be different and hard to compare because the guards are solid and the scabbard is plated. They will age differently.
    Andy

"They will age differently."

You are absolutely correct and it is one reason why it is hard to tell when scabbard has been changed.
    -TJ-

?

Blondi

That dagger left the factory with an early scabbard - probably an SA scabbard. Remains of black paint on the grip suggests that the guy became part of the NSKK.

The scabbard you see is from the later RZM period. The paint looks original and not a repaint. It could be an NSKK scabbard but the paint wear on the back says it was carried in a vertical hanger. This, in turn, suggest that it was an SS scabbard.

So, How did it turn up as it did ? Several possibilities, but nothing provable