Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.

Article about: Hi Everyone, I've been offered this dagger by a party I've never dealt with. The dagger was owned by the sellers father and has been in the family for a long time. They believe it to be a gr

Default Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.

Hi Everyone,

I've been offered this dagger by a party I've never dealt with. The dagger was owned by the sellers father and has been in the family for a long time. They believe it to be a ground Rohm. Some things look OK to me, but I lack the experience with SS versions to know what I'm looking at. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I've asked for a few more shots, but the seller says photos are hard because they don't know how to use their camera. Unfortunately it's too far away for me to inspect in person.

Things that stuck out to me;

There seems to be some sort of filler applied around the eagle, as well as a probable repaired chip to the handle near the lower cross guard.

Handle seems to be darkened brown wood, just the finish wearing off?

Lower cross guard looks like it was ground along the edge. Faint remains of what appears to be a stamping of "OST".

Total lack of makers mark, which from my research is possibly consistent with a ground dagger?

Scabbard looks repainted to me, but I could be wrong.

Looking forward to hearing opinions. Thanks as always.

-Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.   Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.  

Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.   Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.  

Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.   Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.
    P
    Many

Your suspicions are correct and the photos are bad.

lower guard is an SA dagger guard marked OST for east.

Grip is junk with an added fake runes button.
    I cant say anything about the blade as like you said the photos are bad.

Not much value there and its better off that dagger staying at the " party "

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the quick confirmation of my concerns. I figured it was a long shot, but wanted another few pairs of eyes on it. The search continues... Thanks as always for sharing your knowledge.

-Sam

Same opinion as nothing worth collecting here - a couple of years ago at a show a supposed "Röhm" dagger generated some interest and an acquaintance purchased the dagger. When he showed it to me it was obvious that it was actually a reproduction that had been "upgraded" to a "ground Röhm" dagger. (The faker being clever enough to make the "Rohm" part, where most fakers have the greatest difficulty, illegible.) Fortunately for my acquaintance the show had not ended and he got his money back. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Alleged ground SS Dienstdolch, opinions needed.  

I agree with Larry and Fred, there’s nothing worth owning here. A sad attempt to recreate an SS dagger.

In all of the photos...none of which shows the full length of the blade ...and the blade does look like it has been blunted.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill