Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade

Article about: Hi everyone, Larry C asked that I post photos of my new SS dagger after the blade was cleaned. So after hours of cleaning using simichrome here are some before and after photos. Hopefully I

?

Default Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade

Hi everyone, Larry C asked that I post photos of my new SS dagger after the blade was cleaned. So after hours of cleaning using simichrome here are some before and after photos. Hopefully I added a few more years to the life of this dagger so another generation can enjoy it. There is still some residue where the blade meets the lower crossguard and I’m thinking of using a toothbrush and semichrome to get in that crevice. Other ideas? Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade   Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade  

Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade   Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade  

Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade   Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Before/After photos of cleaned dagger blade
    P
    Many

?

Ok sofar about original crossgrain and Motto etch colour.
    Well you overcleaned way to much, sorry to say but imo you ruined a blade.

Ger

The blade was already in a sore state and and his cleaning actually helped it . Maybe not perfect but presentable.

I would say you did a good job removing the topical grime and dirt at least that from the blade.
    The runner marks and scratched surfaces were already there prior.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Ok sofar about original crossgrain and Motto etch colour.
    Well you overcleaned way to much, sorry to say but imo you ruined a blade.

Ger
    Here I'm not sure where the differences in the before and after begins. Generally speaking, one thing that really bothered me at shows with even some of the larger dealers were the overly "tarted up" daggers (and even some swords) that were for sale that I had to pass on because the blades were (IMO) ruined by too much polishing. Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Here I'm not sure where the differences in the before and after begins. Generally speaking, one thing that really bothered me at shows with even some of the larger dealers were the overly "tarted up" daggers (and even some swords) that were for sale that I had to pass on because the blades were (IMO) ruined by too much polishing. Best Regards, Fred
    Here are the before photos.
    Renwax for dagger?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Hello and I thank everyone for their opinion. When I bought this dagger I had a choice to leave it as is and let mother nature let it rust through or do something about it. I chose the latter for future generations to enjoy. Some here said I over cleaned it. I know the blade no longer has that authentic look but you can see from the pitting, especially around the motto-that it took a lot of cleaning to get all the rust off. I didn’t think removing just some of the rust was the right thing to do. Perhaps in retrospect I could have used another type of cleaner or polish. Another alternative of course is in the future I need to buy a dagger without as much damage to the blade. However at this point I plan to Renwax only the blade and leave the handle alone as it has nice patina on it. As stated in my previous post Larry C asked that I post a photo of the cleaned up blade so I felt obliged since he and many others out there helped me identify this as authentic. Thanks again.