Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help Identifying SS officer dagger

Article about: This thing is in horrible condition, Im positive it was a bring back, My grandfather was a farmer and owned land in Medinah IL, he found this thing plowing one day had no idea what it is, Wh

Make a grip for it and you'd have a cool letter opener!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help Identifying SS officer dagger
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Make a grip for it and you'd have a cool letter opener!
    Well to honest im tempted to buy a Repop of the knife and use that handle, just too see what it looked like for myself. Woodworking just aint my specialty.

I'd hold out for a super relic but genuine handle, ground dug somewhere in the Ostfront.

?

Any idea where i can find such a thing? Im not big into buying and or collecting things from the war, most i have is this and a Youth knife missing the sheeth and the diamond and that also was a bring back probably from my other grandfather. But your suggestion would probably be a little cheaper than the repop, so yeah?

- - ------- - -

Also, thanks all for the information, it means alot you all went out of your way to provide me information.

Unfortunately, reproduction knives likely would have different dimensions from those of the originals, such as tang size, grip width, etc, so it probably would not fit and you'd just be out your purchase price for the repo. I would think that there must be a few wood working shops in your vicinity that could help you out-I can't imagine that such a thing would be very costly to produce. Unless, of course, you're looking for a grip that was exactly like the original-with grip eagle and roundel. Then....well...it could be difficult!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Larboard View Post
    I'd hold out for a super relic but genuine handle, ground dug somewhere in the Ostfront.
    Can't say I've ever seen such a thing, honor daggers didn't tend to make it to the front lines. If any did ever get to be buried, I'd expect the remains to be like this one. i.e. just the blade left and the handle decomposed.

SS Grips to find..are a very small needle in a haystack. SA grips seem to be around a bit more.... but will not fit up against an SS district stamped crossguard.

A temporary grip is a great idea as Wagriff suggested to fill in an empty space..until you find a real one. Yet any found authentic SS grip will not fair as well to match up against the condition of this blade and guards..unless t is as Glenn suggests..very decomposed.

Another thought of display is...just as is...with a small bio written beneath it..to give the faceless dagger..a bit of identity and honor. There is enough information on this thread now..to start a bio from the producer...the History of the producer,...the history of the dagger...and the SS political branch it represented. The history..is still all there..somewhat tattered ..but will never be taken away.

A photo of a complete SS dagger would also help give identity to what this dagger was. Still alot of coll stuff to be found in this hobby..if ones heart i deep into understanding the preservation of history. Nothing is a loss if one makes it that way. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Bharvs View Post
    Well to honest im tempted to buy a Repop of the knife and use that handle, just too see what it looked like for myself. Woodworking just aint my specialty.
    Hey, just saw this on evilBay, can't go wrong for $20, you can distress the handle to match and put it together ;-)

German WW2 Black Dagger Scabbard Replica | eBay

Not hard to believe this was used as a tool and left out in a field, there was a different mind set back then, most vets didnt think "hey this may be worth alot of money 70 years from now so I better put it in a glass case" imagine all the bring backs that were thrown away because the vet never imagined that anyone else would want them.

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    " imagine all the bring backs that were thrown away because the vet never imagined that anyone else would want them.
    I get that horrid feeling when driving down the street on trash day. You never know.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2