Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS chained

Article about: Hi All, I have been offered this chained SS dagger to purchase. I have it in my possession for inspection prior to buying and I am looking for opinions/advice on it as I am no expert on them

?

Default SS chained

Hi All,

I have been offered this chained SS dagger to purchase. I have it in my possession for inspection prior to buying and I am looking for opinions/advice on it as I am no expert on them by a long way. This is the only one I've thought about buying in over 40 years ! Wanted one for a long time though. I have watched some of Wittman's guides, read various articles etc but am still a bit confused over this one. Dagger cross guards are non magnetic, so they are solid nickle ? Scabbard centre band, throat etc are magnetic so nickle plate ? Chain links and connectors non magnetic but Wotan knot and clip magnetic(I think steel). So my concerns are :-

1 - different metals to chain/clip(should they all be magnetic/non magnetic

2 - connector to centre band has been replaced I think as it is a brass finish with just a bit of plating left.

3 - has the chain/clip/knot been put together from different parts ?

Please advise if any further photos are required. many thanks in advance for any help. MM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS chained   SS chained  

SS chained   SS chained  

SS chained   SS chained  

SS chained  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS chained
    P
    Many

Good Observations MM

With Chained SS daggers and with their high value ..you want it to be all correct without doubt.
    One non compliant detail bins it for me / I walk away from it.
    Not your typical Mid period type B2.

The chain tabs itself are mixed between B1 and Type C
    Chained SS Study of the 4 Chain types

Parted chain and dont waste your time.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Much appreciated Larry. As I said in my original post, I have never owned one so I need to be very careful and welcome any pointers/advice as you have given.

MM

?

Following Larry's excellent advice and my own suspicions prior to that, I will no longer be considering purchasing this dagger, but would still welcome any further comments on it which might assist me in any future purchase.

MM

MM...your journey begins and I would encourage also to use the forums internal search engine located at the upper right hand corner of your screen .." Advanced search " ..type in any key words and a list of threads pertaining to that topic will come up.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Not particularly liking what I see in the images I'm of the same opinion as Larry. I also do not like the poor quality images, as they are very often used by fakers to try and fool unsuspecting prospective customers. Best Regards, Fred

?

Hi Fred, the images posted are from the original seller which was an auction site. I purchased the item from the buyer from that site and posted the original images. I have since returned the dagger and am now unable to post better images. I am satisfied that the dagger was not 100% correct ie that the chain was made up from various parts and am very happy that forum members here helped me from making an expensive mistake. The seller to me is obviously unhappy but I suggested he returned it to the auction house he purchased it from - peebles auctions UK dated 29th may 2021 item number 134 for reference.

Cheers, Mark

Strange how the seller wins it from the auction house and curious of the price he paid and wants to flip it for a resale. I think the buyer knew also it had issues.
    Auction houses are as reliable as the those who are educated in these types of artifacts.

@ Mark ....the forum is always open to new members and if that guy is unhappy because you returned it...invite him to this forum..and will gladly have a discussion on the production history and materials used.
    Most likely that person will never arrive here because either they know whats wrong with it..or they have too much pride and dont want to face the truth.

Either way Mark..you are the Victor here as you can still keep the money in your pocket.

Best Larry

?

Cheers Larry - I have already returned the item and advised him of the concerns with it. Not sure what he intends to do with it, but he is still convinced all is ok with it. I'm hoping to eventually have a good one in my collection.

Mark

The longer your stay here ..... the greater the opportunity for you to acquire a whole Chained SS example through study and connections with like minded members. One will come your way in time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast