MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Chained dagger type C.

Article about: Hi, I recently bought this dagger that was well rewiewed on a side forum. I photographed it in more detail, please give your opinions. If you need more photos, don't hesitate to write me abo

PS: As for the other two more recent daggers - I most respectfully give them a . Best Regards, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Chained dagger type C. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Chained dagger type C.
    P
    Many

Ok, I don't mind the polished patina on the chain links, it remained in inaccessible places. I bought it with the fact that the blade is gently polished. You can live with that too. Deficiencies marked with a red arrow and "repainted handle" were refuted using flash. Only the gap between the lower guard and the blade remained. Does this mean the dagger is fake? Would it help if I disassembled it to reveal the guards and the hidden part of the blade?

Hi Kurt...its not necessary to disassemble it.
    Since most of the concerns were pointed out by the effect of the flash and you accept those discrepancies then it is yours for you to keep.
    The gap under the crossguard where the tang enters the guard...is not too overly concerning as I have seen some SA and SS daggers with a slight visible gap and ..this being a late production period example ...I would expect seeing this slight gap...........BUT....... again this is all being viewed in the photos provided and is not in our hands for a closer inspection.

There is nothing more that I can say except that your eyes can see that the flash is conflicting some of the photos and also ...yet still wait for other thoughts.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Absolutely Gorgeous Original, Slightly overcleaned, but Beautiful, wish it was mine!

?

I agree with Larry no need to disassemble.

Tim

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Kurt...its not necessary to disassemble it.
    Since most of the concerns were pointed out by the effect of the flash and you accept those discrepancies then it is yours for you to keep.
    The gap under the crossguard where the tang enters the guard...is not too overly concerning as I have seen some SA and SS daggers with a slight visible gap and ..this being a late production period example ...I would expect seeing this slight gap...........BUT....... again this is all being viewed in the photos provided and is not in our hands for a closer inspection.

There is nothing more that I can say except that your eyes can see that the flash is conflicting some of the photos and also ...yet still wait for other thoughts.

Best Larry
    Likewise, at this point I think that there is no critical need to subject the dagger to additional taking apart and reassembly because of the risk of damaging the grip etc. I also sometimes tend to have a different perspective that is probably because of my background. For future reference here is a later 3rd manufacturing generation M1936 dagger that has not had a "tuneup" or whatever you want to call efforts to try and make a dagger look like new. (The unfortunate part of that IMO being that it often destroys the history as well as making it difficult to differentiate legiigmate age etc. from postwar fooling around.) Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Chained dagger type C.  

Yes, I agree with you, historical artifacts should not be enhanced or polished. Unfortunately, today's market situation is such that these daggers are very difficult to find, more so in Europe than in the USA. Every dagger sold has some flaw, unquestionable originals often have a chipped piece of wood on the handle or a rusty blade. And even for such daggers, the price at large dealers is around $7,500-$9,000.

I don't have a chance to get to a big exchange like SOS or MAX show to get hold of these daggers and choose the best ones. Actually, my dagger doesn't look that bad when you hold it in your hand. Today's camera phones can magnify any defect that is imperceptible to the naked eye so that it becomes a moon crater. With hard-to-find originals, sometimes it is necessary to turn a blind eye, if I do not want to wait another 20 years.

By purchasing this dagger, I fulfilled an old dream. I still regret not buying an early 1933 Böker SS dagger 25 years ago because of a chipped piece of ebony. It was $400 at the time and I wanted to wait for a better one. No one better has crossed my path. In my country, the collecting community is unfortunately riddled with fakes from the days when there was no internet and no quality literature to be had. Unfortunately, the seller didn't take a picture of the gap near the lower guard, and I didn't notice it either, and I was playing with the dagger a lot.

Maybe it's because I don't take my daggers out of their sheaths very often so as not to scrape the blade. The SS model 1936 dagger did not go through RZM quality control, and the chain type C was produced around 1941. At that time, everything was already combined and parts were bought from subcontractors.

Not long after the production of this dagger came a ban on wearing it and therefore the chain is unscathed. It has a thick layer of nickel, so it didn't mind even possible moisture, which can't be said about the blade. I paid €6,200 for the dagger, I don't think I could get a better one for that kind of money.
    Last edited by Larry C; 11-05-2023 at 10:50 PM.

Did you read this? Although it is in Austria, who knows if a similar policy will not spread to the entire EU and the customs authorities will not start destroying our trade. At the same time, they should look for the enemy of the state somewhere else and not with collectors. The current pogroms against Jews are done by a different sort of people, these people certainly do not collect original Nazi relics.

Zoll zieht Nazi-Dolch aus Postverkehr

Quote by KurtSteiner1974 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you, historical artifacts should not be enhanced or polished. Unfortunately, today's market situation is such that these daggers are very difficult to find, more so in Europe than in the USA. Every dagger sold has some flaw, unquestionable originals often have a chipped piece of wood on the handle or a rusty blade. And even for such daggers, the price at large dealers is around $7,500-$9,000. I don't have a chance to get to a big exchange like SOS or MAX show to get hold of these daggers and choose the best ones. Actually, my dagger doesn't look that bad when you hold it in your hand. Today's camera phones can magnify any defect that is imperceptible to the naked eye so that it becomes a moon crater. With hard-to-find originals, sometimes it is necessary to turn a blind eye, if I do not want to wait another 20 years. By purchasing this dagger, I fulfilled an old dream. I still regret not buying an early 1933 Böker SS dagger 25 years ago because of a chipped piece of ebony. It was $400 at the time and I wanted to wait for a better one. No one better has crossed my path. In my country, the collecting community is unfortunately riddled with fakes from the days when there was no internet and no quality literature to be had. Unfortunately, the seller didn't take a picture of the gap near the lower guard, and I didn't notice it either, and I was playing with the dagger a lot. Maybe it's because I don't take my daggers out of their sheaths very often so as not to scrape the blade. The SS model 1936 dagger did not go through RZM quality control, and the chain type C was produced around 1941. At that time, everything was already combined and parts were bought from subcontractors. Not long after the production of this dagger came a ban on wearing it and therefore the chain is unscathed. It has a thick layer of nickel, so it didn't mind even possible moisture, which can't be said about the blade. I paid €6,200 for the dagger, I don't think I could get a better one for that kind of money.
    Kurt, Unfortunately there is some misinformation out there that keeps on being repeated. You are correct on the RZM as all of the money went to the SS versus the RZM that had price controls etc. The 3rd manufacturing generation (so-called "C") was earlier (and if more effort and been put into getting it right there would have been an early and late model subdivision). It was the result of a 1935 edict restricting the use of copper and some other metals, and judging from the M1933 daggers circa 1937 (not a firm date). So there is no really justifiable reason IMO with daggers that were made without a logo (a last step) as far as quality is concerned (there is more that can be discussed). The M1936 daggers were not banned shortly after they were introduced - in fact they could be obtained (limited) from the SS even after civilian production from Solingen was terminated in 1942 (the paperwork for the civilian production termination was in 1943). Best Regards, Fred

Sorry to bother you again, I found a SA dagger from the premium manufacturer Robert Klaas with this gap from Victormann a while ago.

SS Chained dagger type C.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2