Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone able to shed some light on this one?

Article about: Hello, big fan off the site (long time reader, first time poster). Am currently in Moldova on business and bought this helmet at a local market. Sold to me as a German motorcyclist helmet (n

?

Default Anyone able to shed some light on this one?

Hello, big fan off the site (long time reader, first time poster).

Am currently in Moldova on business and bought this helmet at a local market. Sold to me as a German motorcyclist helmet (not necessarily as WW2), it has an inch long spike sticking of the back - "The spike on the back is to keep the goggles in place" .

Was very inexpensive so assuming it's not what it seems - just want to know what it actually is. I'm aware that it's quiet common to sell old Spanish helmets as German - but this doesn't look like an example of that.

No online research results bring up any helmets with this distinctive rivet/spike on the back. Can any experts offer their insight? Perhaps Hungarians or Romanian?

Am currently working on photos!

Thank you!

Peter

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone able to shed some light on this one?
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    The first 4 or 5 posts in this thread will give you the information you need to be able to post photos.
    New picture posting feature - How to guide !
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Welcome Peter,

Once you can upload photos I sure someone can provide information. I have an early war NSKK helmet but have never seen or heard of one's with spikes.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks guys! Working with some very iffy Eastern European wifi here, so the quality is far from perfect. Hopefully something should come through

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone able to shed some light on this one?  

?

Damn, they came out sidewards. Still - do the other nuts and bolts offer any clues? Thanks!

IMO a relic (wasnt a relic bask then obv) that someone waterproofed or such. Used as a bucket or a chickenfeeder; a common use in post war east europe.

MAP
    ?

I agree. An m42 helmet that was repurposed for other uses. For what I don't know.

At first I thought you were talking about a leather helmet. This is a combat helmet.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks all. Sorry wasn't clearer. Cheers for the info, knew he was spinning a bit of a yarn - was interested what the truth was.

Obviously made into a bowl or scoop of some sort by a farmer. I wonder what the purpose of the spike was? Perhaps to hook the finger under and help manipulate it while using it?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have seen this kind of "re-purposing" before and I think the spike is what remains of an attached handle something like a wooden pan handle.

Doesn't look like it harmed the shell too much so maybe a useful relic.

Regards

Mark

PS This kind of thing but using the rear rivet hole instead of welding. Much easier with limited resources if a little less sturdy.

Last edited by Watchdog; 02-19-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: pic
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast