Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German WWII Helmet M35

Article about: Hey all, I’m just getting in to collecting German items. I saw this helmet on eBay and bought it. But more and more I look at it, it feels a wrong. I’m questioning the fact the rivets ar

Default German WWII Helmet M35

Hey all, I’m just getting in to collecting German items. I saw this helmet on eBay and bought it. But more and more I look at it, it feels a wrong. I’m questioning the fact the rivets are rusted along with the barb wire, but the outside and inside of the helmet is pristine. Also the helmet weighs 1.422kg.

Another thing I found out, after I received it of course, that someone returned the helmet and left negative feedback for the seller. It was about $250 with shipping.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I’ve included photos I’ve taken as well as sellers photos.

Thanks in advance.

German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35 German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German WWII Helmet M35   German WWII Helmet M35  

German WWII Helmet M35   German WWII Helmet M35  

German WWII Helmet M35   German WWII Helmet M35  

German WWII Helmet M35  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WWII Helmet M35
    P
    Many

Also the helmet weighs 1.422kg.

If you can still return it, i recommend returning it. What you own is a repainted probably also remodeled (from a rusted and pitted shell) helmet that is worth nowhere near 250. Liner, wire, paint, decals are all reproductions.

And then I bought this which was listed as a vet bring back for little over $300. The leather is much thinner and more brittle. Weighs 1.226kg. Decal seems to be painted instead of a sticker.

Please let me know what you think about this as well.

German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35

I like the second one, liner is definitly original (in contrast to the other you posted), but it may be not original to the helmet, so pictures of the split pins would be usefull (one is enough), be carefull when bending the linerband.

For the National Shield Decal autentification more close up pictures would be needed, although i think it stands a chance, as the paint looks to be the early M35 green. Are there any remains of a decal on the other side?

Hi Medacollector,

Always best to post to a forum such as this for evaluation prior to purchasing. Good clear, high res photos in low light are also essential for evaluating the originality of a helmet. Anyway, you’re in the right place now and there are lots of experienced members available who will be more than happy to assist you.

As Adravor has said, the first helmet is a cobbled together piece and is not original. I don’t think there is actually anything original left on this helmet. Even the liner band appears to have been added to the shell. Apart from the fake decal itself, it looks like the seller or whoever put it together has tried to represent some type of overpaint which would never have had a tri-colour applied. I have doubts to the originality of the shell as well. Are there any other maker marks or numbers inside the rear skirt?

Regarding the second helmet (always best to save to a new post to to save confusion), it’s hard to tell from these photos what colour the paint is. Looks black but could be a dark feldgrau. Could you possibly take some outdoor photos in low light? Anyway, looks like an M35 shell but would like to see better photos of the vents from the inside as the left side one is hard to distinguish due to rust. The liner looks original although replaced and with an odd liner pin in the rear. Would like to see clear closeups of the decal and the area on the opposing side which looks as though it may have had a decal at some stage. May have been reissued and the decals dig out but hard to tell from these photos.

Is this the same seller as the first helmet? Depending on the description on eBay, I definitely want a refund or will tell the seller that you will also be leaving negative feedback. Best to avoid eBay as it’s full of junk for the most part and a haven for the unscrupulous to prey on the wary.

Andy

I think the second helmet has a dark green tone Andy, my M35 in a sligtly better state has a similar color in certain light. Closeups are needed anyways.

Yeah as said the first one is a repainted shell with a fake liner and wire.
    The second I'm not sure what to think of it, I'm kinda doubting the liner is original to the helmet, the shell is too rusty for the fact that the liner band is pristine and the felt is also still in very good condition.
    Plus the pins don't look all that (if at all) worn compared to the area around them which is very rusty.
    Also looks as though the tricolor was perhaps painted over but it could also just be dirty.
    At least here the parts appear to be original but I sense that this one was probably cobbled together.
    Luis

These are the pictures of the decal. I took from every single angle. Sorry it took a while. Work has been crazy.

German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35German WWII Helmet M35

So from the new photos it looks like it was originally an early DD M35 Heer Helmet that was painted in a very dark paint at some point, possibly for post war use by the Czech Republic for civil defence, although there appears to be no paint inside the helmet so who knows? Has since been scrubbed back to reveal the remains of the tri colour. Was a decal on the left at some point but long since removed. Finished off with a replacement liner and pins etc, so a messed with original shell that now has little if any collectible value.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast